Eradicating rocks before tilling

/ Eradicating rocks before tilling #61  
Here you go,
just get a bit more hp and have fun;
Valentini 'L' Series Tractor 3 Point Rock/Stone Crushers -- Iowa Farm Equipment
interesting videos, nice looking equipment but I'd sure hate to see the maintenance cost and time.

1682425466419.png

/ Eradicating rocks before tilling #62  
First off, I want to apologize if this post is not in the correct section. I have a farm that I recently purchased and will be looking to do about an acre of food plots on for deer this coming season. To my knowledge, this ground has never been worked and after examining it, I’ve noticed a lot of rock. I have a 25hp tractor to work with, my question is what would be the best way to find and get rid of rocks prior to running a tiller through.
DO NOT use a tiller unless you don’t mind breaking it. Two options.
1) Get a rock hound. Have it go through the field and sniff out the rocks. Use a shovel and dig out each rock. Put the rocks in the trunk of your car and take them home to your wife so she can make a rock garden or stone soup. Bonus if you happen to dig up a pudding stone. Then she can make stone pudding.
2) Get an old fashion 1 bottom moldboard plow and till with that. Some rocks will show up. Then pull a cultivator through it and more rocks will show up. And every year more rocks will show up.
Food plots don’t need to be tilled and manicured like a putting green.

Last edited:
   / Eradicating rocks before tilling #63  
A trick I learned is that when you are walking the land and staking out where the rocks are, take a large hammer, with you. You may only see a small bit of the rock above ground. Hit the exposed part of the rock with the hammer. You may want safety glasses for this. The easier rocks to remove will vibrate and you'll see a noticeable movement and disturbance of the soil around the exposed part. These are the easy rocks, and I would mark those with a Green painted stake. If you hit the rock and there seems to be no vibration - its a big one. These, I would mark with a Red stake. I pull out all the Green staked ones first, they can be lifted out with the FEL. This will become my smallish to mid sized pile of rocks. Which are 70 to 200 lbs. The ones that where Red staked, need to be hand dug out a bit before attempting a leveraged drag out as in my area, these tend to be too big for the FEL to lift. These go in the "sentinel" pile of 200+ to 700 lbs and other larger ones that have to be dragged, go in a other "Boulder" pile. Really big rocks have a market value, in my area. There are a great deal of subdivisions in the valley, and they, for some reason, want, a few large rocks for driveway entrances and such. They also want the rocks to have moss on them. This is easy to do. You buy a cheap second hand blender, and mix moss with milk, make a moss shake and pour it over the boulder in the fall. By spring, it will be covered in moss.

Deer are a whole other issue for us. We've gone through three entire re-plantings of our flowering gardens around the house, because, the deer would sneak in, late at night knowing the dog was inside, and eat all our new plantings. So everything now planted, is deer proof. And there are a plenty of lists, on the internet of what to plant that are are deer proof. .

Last edited:
   / Eradicating rocks before tilling #64  
First off, I want to apologize if this post is not in the correct section. I have a farm that I recently purchased and will be looking to do about an acre of food plots on for deer this coming season. To my knowledge, this ground has never been worked and after examining it, I’ve noticed a lot of rock. I have a 25hp tractor to work with, my question is what would be the best way to find and get rid of rocks prior to running a tiller through.
Don't worry about rocks or ruining a Tiller. Just plant some corn by hand and mow if possible 4 areas to spread shelled corn around and a salt block. Done.