Engine Vibration

/ Engine Vibration #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Finally got my GC2410 back, they had to replace the oil pan seal and the front engine seal which was improperly installed at the factory. My question is, at idle, does this engine vibrate alot? When I mean alot, I mean alot-at higher RPMs it smooths out quite a bit. At idle-it could break a finger if you try and touch it.

/ Engine Vibration #2  
Mine is the same way. Vibration at idle seems to be present with all the little 3 cyl diesels I looked at when I was shopping. The GC vibrates more at idle then some other SCUTs, but I suspect that is because it has a larger displacement motor than any of the other scuts. The Kubota BX seemed the smoothest at idle, but it is also the smallest displacement. I think it comes down to the bigger the 3 cyl, the more it vibrates at idle.

/ Engine Vibration #3  
Mine is the same way. Vibration at idle seems to be present with all the little 3 cyl diesels I looked at when I was shopping. The GC vibrates more at idle then some other SCUTs, but I suspect that is because it has a larger displacement motor than any of the other scuts. The Kubota BX seemed the smoothest at idle, but it is also the smallest displacement. I think it comes down to the bigger the 3 cyl, the more it vibrates at idle.

I agree. Mine does the same.

/ Engine Vibration

/ Engine Vibration #5  
You have an engine that is not balanced with 3 cylinders, and no rubber motor mounts to isolate the vibration.

Just having motor mounts would make a big difference. My fairway mower has motor mounts, and even with a 3 cylinder engine, it is 90% smoother.

But it also cost $29,000 when it was new. :thumbsup:

/ Engine Vibration #6  
Finally got my GC2410 back, they had to replace the oil pan seal and the front engine seal which was improperly installed at the factory. My question is, at idle, does this engine vibrate alot? When I mean alot, I mean alot-at higher RPMs it smooths out quite a bit. At idle-it could break a finger if you try and touch it.

The question that is begging is , did it do it befor the work was done ? Maybe a pulley with a counterweight or a countershaft has been put on wrong or timed wrong .

/ Engine Vibration #7  
Yeah, I'll add that mine does the same.

When first starting it, anything loose rattles like the dickens; bump the throttle up just a bit and it's tolerable.

It does shake quite a bit less at low idle after it's fully warmed up.

I just figure it's the nature of a 3-cylinder diesel that (apparently) has no counter balance shaft. No biggie.:D