Oil & Fuel Engine Using Oil

/ Engine Using Oil #1  

bill18163

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710,BX1860,LA3940
I have a BX1860 that my wife uses to cut our grass. That's all this tractor is used for,just to cut the grass. It has 80 hours on it. The engine burns some oil. I found it down half way on the dip stick once and about a fourth of the way down another time. I have two other Kubota tractors, a L3940 and a B2710 and they dont burn a drop of oil between oil changes. Could this be something particular to the smaller Kubota engines? Anyone else seeing this in their small Kubota tractor?

/ Engine Using Oil #2  
Has it always used oil? (e.g., rings never really seated properly)
Or is this recent? (e.g., broken ring?)

/ Engine Using Oil #3  
I've got a BX2350, 280 hours, and at most, I have had to add half a quart of oil between changes.

/ Engine Using Oil #4  
If you don't find the problem, some "Lucas" additive at oil changes will probably stop that small amount of usage. Ken Sweet

/ Engine Using Oil #5  
I bought a BX2200 in 03 and sold it to my son in law when I bought my BX2660, neither has burned any oil.

/ Engine Using Oil #6  
Bill, I guess a lot depends on how often you've been checking the dipstick when you find it 1/4 or 1/2 down. Between oil changes that amount wouldn't be abnormal on a new engine.

/ Engine Using Oil #7  
Sounds like the rings need to be seated. Make sure you get the unit up to operating temperature and then go mow some really heavy grass, make the engine bough down a little bit, see if that helps.

/ Engine Using Oil #8  
Sounds like the rings need to be seated. Make sure you get the unit up to operating temperature and then go mow some really heavy grass, make the engine bough down a little bit, see if that helps.

Yes it sounds like a bad break in. Get your self some JD Break-in oil and use it till it stops using oil then switch back to your regular oil. John deere recommends doing this for engines that got a poor break in. Also make sure to work it hard and up to temp as it is temp and pressure on the rings that makes them seat.

/ Engine Using Oil #9  
Yes it sounds like a bad break in. Get your self some JD Break-in oil and use it till it stops using oil then switch back to your regular oil. John deere recommends doing this for engines that got a poor break in. Also make sure to work it hard and up to temp as it is temp and pressure on the rings that makes them seat.

Are you saying you should work the engine hard to break in properly? I think my manual said to try to not run the engine at high RPM's for the first 50 hours.

/ Engine Using Oil #10  
Are you saying you should work the engine hard to break in properly? I think my manual said to try to not run the engine at high RPM's for the first 50 hours.
Just going on what Deere recommends. That is to gradually ramp up to 75-80% load after a brief run in which is usually done on a dino of about 2 hours. The idea is to get enough heat and pressure on the rings for them to seat properly.
I have done this with several large JD engines and have had good luck. None ended up burning oil at all. Don't see why a Kubota would be any different. I have run in multiple Kubotas using JD's method and none of them burn a drop.
Idling a new engine will cause problems so after warm up put them to work.:)