Engine Temp?

/ Engine Temp? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I'm breaking in my MY2011 4720 as it cresting over 50hrs...the engine temp gage since day one has read between the center and the red area. since it's always been like that and stays there even with brush mowing for hours, i guess it's normal for my tractor. However, i thought I'd ask around to see what y'all have experienced.

/ Engine Temp? #2  
I'd be talking to my dealer about it, if you haven't already.

Does the gauge start out that way, or start out reading cold and then warms up gradually to the reading you get?

Usually the mystery is they tend to run cold.

I wouldn't be comfortable with a gauge like that.

/ Engine Temp? #3  
My 2010 4720 shows the same reading, so I think we are ok.

JPC

/ Engine Temp? #4  
When you first start the engine and let it idle it should read cold slowly warm up, but never as you see till you run it with a load. If you let it idle it again it should cool down. I would suspect a problem with the temp gauge. If you can get a probe type oven gauge, open the radiator cap and place it in the open hole, you should see the coolant come up to temp and cycle as the T-stats cycle close-open-close-open

/ Engine Temp? #5  
Get yourself a infrared thermometer and check you gauge against it. Likely the gauge or sender. My Kubota is the other way, hardly shows any temp.:)

/ Engine Temp? #6  
I'd be concerned, too. Talk with your dealer. Either the gauge or the thermostat...

AKfish

/ Engine Temp?
it starts out cold and without load warms up to the middle - once mowing, etc. it moves a bit past middle and stays there. I have not tested to see if it will cool down after load by idling it...but i'll try.