Engine oil change & Topsider clone

/ Engine oil change & Topsider clone #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
I finally got around to changing the engine oil in the PT. It was pretty dark stuff, well due for an oil change. I replaced it with synthetic 10W30 (based on what the owner's manual for the Briggs and Stratton engine said). It took a little over 3 quarts.

I used the Topsider clone that I bought to suck the oil out. (This is a 2 1/2 gallon can with a suction pump attached. You close a clip on a hose, and pump the air out of the can, then open the clip and the it sucks the oil out. You can buy the name brand a few places for about $40, or Harbor Freight has the clone for about $25.) Pretty cool and not at all messy, however, it took awhile to suck it all out. I had to clip/pump/unclip a few times. I took the oil plug out afterwards, and nothing but a few drops came out. It seems to have done a pretty thorough job.

Someone had asked about how well this topsider clone works (although I don't remember who). In a nutshell, it's slower than just taking the plug out, but it's a whole heckuva lot less messy. I wasn't in much of a hurry today, so I was fine with slow.

I also got out the smoke wrench and welded up some of the cracks that have materialized in the bucket (along the top, presumably from the abuse of lifting material a little too heavy for the "light material bucket"). I'm not sure if I got enough penetration with the welds that it will hold, but I guess I'll see in the future. If the welds don't hold, then I can always bolt on some angle stock as reinforcement...

Happy weekend!
Dave

/ Engine oil change & Topsider clone #2  
I noticed that on my light material bucket, after moving 90 tons of moon dust(granulated limestone), that the bottom had lines in it right where the reinforcing bars are. That limestone has bent the sheet steel around the reinforcing! Anyway, they said it was for light material, and they are right. After a few years, I'll probably end up beefing it up as well.