Engine Coolant Drain-Plug Leak

/ Engine Coolant Drain-Plug Leak #1  

djradz

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D
For all Ford and NH Tractor Owners with the infamous leaking block!

I put up with it for years on my Ford 1720 and for almost 4 on my TC 40D. I tried several fixes, including new plugs, teflon tape, blue silicone sealant, pipe dope, etc, all to no avail. ...But, I think I've got it by-golly. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif See the pics, but here is what I used, 3/4' NPT brass insert, 3/8" brass insert, and 1/4" brass valve. Could have just used the larger insert, but couldn't find a valve to fit. I imagine there's several other combinations that would work, but this is what I came up with. Key is getting a fitting into the block that fits and seals. I know some folks have said the thread might be British BPI threads, but NPT worked and sealed just fine, so I'm not sure. There defineately was no binding or gauling going in. I used a double wrap of teflon tape on each fitting. The problem with NH's fittings are that you have to have the right-angle drain line connection point facing down, for the drain to work very well. In the case of my old 1720 and in an even worse case with my 40D, the plug would get almost impossible to turn, just at the point where the drain line connection was facing almost straight up. So, you had to turn it in a little less, and then it leaked. I even ground a slot in a socket, 15/16" or 24 mm, or something like that, specifically so it would fit the odd fitting. I'm not sure that even if I were to have gotten it turned all the way around, it would have sealed long term as NH has had so much problem with these. Anyway, some additional pics also follow.

Attachments

• 564129-coolant-plug.jpg
    564129-coolant-plug.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 2,703
   / Engine Coolant Drain-Plug Leak
Some more pics. This one is of the other portion of this "drain system" NH came up with. I didn't like the valve at the radiator end, so I came up with this instead.

Attachments

• 564134-rad-drain.jpg
    564134-rad-drain.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,248
Here's my new "drain-system".

Attachments

• 564136-drain-system.jpg
    564136-drain-system.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3,291
   / Engine Coolant Drain-Plug Leak #4  
Nice work!

Any concerns that some brush might turn the valve to the "drain" position? In your 2nd picture where the hose connects to the radiator.. this is where some brush had pulled the hose off for me.. I replaced that "wire" clamp. Pull on it and see if it comes off easy.. not good.

Wow.. your tractor is so clean!

/ Engine Coolant Drain-Plug Leak #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Wow.. your tractor is so clean! )</font>

My thought...exactly! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyhow, nice job Duane. I especially like the way you did the brass fitting within a fitting. I don't have that problem, but if I ever do, I know how to fix it. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

... so clean." Ah, just a false impression. I spewed quite a bit of fluid when I removed the old fittings and so hosed-off that side of the tractor to get rid of the residue and also clean up around the fitting in the block for painting. I've messed with this so many times, I'd scraped the paint off the block, frame and dipstick and some spots were beginning to rust. You're seeing fresh paint around the plug, although when I tried to reduce the size of these .jpg photos, the colors and resolution of the pictures seemed to affect the clarity, so it might not be so obvious.

I'm not overly concerned about opening the valve with a snag because it's pretty well protected up in close to the engine. Also, I positioned the valve so it would take a branch/brush pulling the valve forward to open it, which I'm not inclined to go. Also, I shortened the stock handle on the valve so it's just long enough to still turn fairly easily. Most of my brush clearing work is done with my hog and I back the rear of the tractor into things.

/ Engine Coolant Drain-Plug Leak #7  
djradz your modification is an excellent idea for solving an old problem. The only thing that I might recommend differently is to simply modify the valve handle like my picture then use a crescent wrench for easy access. That way you would never have to be concerned about anything accidentally catching your original handle.

TC-40D SS web pictures click here

Attachments

• 564698-valve.jpg
    564698-valve.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,814
I like it. Great idea! Now there's nothing to catch on.

/ Engine Coolant Drain-Plug Leak #9  
Our 1720 Ford 2 WD with turf tires has pulled a finish mower since 1990. It started its life leased to the Kentucky Horse Park in Lex., KY pulling a reel mower on the polo field. I purchased it when it had 205 hours and now it has over 3200. I have changed oil every 50 hours and when I used it in the winter I always used the block heater before starting. Engine maintenance has limited to water pump replacement because of a noisy bearing. I was able to replace the W/P without taking off the front end of the tractor.

Is there any reason to not put a solid drain plug in place?

If I need to drain the block that can be done by loosening the lower radiator hose.