EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #12  
BHD,
I can guarantee the hose crimping tool will work ,the company I work for used it in a manufacturing process to create reel bat stiffeners I think they were 1" or slightly less.Just be carefull and go cautiously.

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #13  
I have made tent posts by taking two aluminum poles, on fits inside the other. the larger one, cut one end at a 45 angle. the smaller one slide a washer over it so that when it hit the 45 it will wedge at an angle and stop the inner pole from sliding into the outer. to keep the inner one from sliding all the way threw, wrap the top end with duct tape. then insert a wood plug into the top end of the smaller tube and screw a bolt in and tighten to force the plug tight and the hex head screw will go into the grommet of the tent.

conduit would work instead of the aluminum poles.

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #14  
EMT might be strong enough for tent poles but the metal used is very weak. You can buy steel tubing (round or square) from a steel shop that is much better quality and you can choose sizes that are closer in size than the 1/4" difference in the EMT.
What size pipe did you have in mind?

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #15  
The machinist at work made me one to swage it out so emt would slide in to the swaged
The problem i found was the emt is welded and it would split at the weld
The only brand that would work was electrunite from republic.

tom

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #16  
If you don't need a lot and strength is not a problem you might consider 1/2" copper water pipe. Just use the heavier typle "L" instead of type M

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #17  
Wow its real simple heat the conduct red hot clamped in a vice use a $20.00 swedge tool to open up one end ! DONE
I guess most of you have not heard of the KISS it method , keep it simple stupid.
Sounds like most of you work for the government. over complementing the simple

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #18  
I'm not sure if this has been mention? you could take the next size smaller pipe cut 6-7" pc slide into one end drill through the part you want to become permanent, then turn pipe 1/4 turn and spot weld the hole closed, then you would have the reduce end to make the connection with to the next pipe,;) of course then cleanup and taper all ends with a grinder or belt sander,

i was thinking the same thing as the best solution for a small project.
if you didn't have a welder you could drill both sides and install a bolt
with nut to hold the pin in place on each end.

if you had a press you could build a jig to form the end of the conduit like this.

SNAG-0000 12-22-2013 7.22.29 AM.jpg

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #19  
If you don't need a lot and strength is not a problem you might consider 1/2" copper water pipe. Just use the heavier typle "L" instead of type M

i think the cost of copper pipe would make this a non-starter unless you have a quantity on hand.
in which case you might be better off selling the copper and using the proceeds to buy what you need.

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #20  
I know most guys don't have the access to one but a hydraulic hose crimper does a fine job of making tent poles type ends on all kinds of pipe and emt conduit......been doing if for years