Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #11  
I'm not sure about that. It's been a few years.

Bob B.

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #12  
Hello new to the forum

Last edited:
   / Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #13  
I was hoping for someone to help me with a cub cadet 2166 loosing spark after starting. New battery, new ignition switch bought from the dealer not aftermarket, converted the Sam. Still same problem. It will either start and then go dead or it will run for a few minutes and the wires get hot then go dead. It'll stay running as long as you leave the key to the start position, It's getting 13.8 volts while running at the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #14  
I was hoping for someone to help me with a cub cadet 2166 loosing spark after starting. New battery, new ignition switch bought from the dealer not aftermarket, converted the Sam. Still same problem. converted the Sam or it will run for a few minutes and the wires get hot then go dead. It'll stay running as long as you leave the key to the start position, It's getting 13.8 volts while running at the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to TBN

I guess we need to agree on terminology.
What does "converted the Sam" mean ?

You said "it will run for a few minutes and the wires get hot then go dead".

Please describe "go dead" Does is just stop as if you shut the on/off switch off ? Or does it sputter and slowly die ?

You also said "will run for a few minutes and the wires get hot then go dead."

What wire(s) get hot ?

Richard

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #15  
Welcome to TBN

I guess we need to agree on terminology.
What does "converted the Sam" mean ?

You said "it will run for a few minutes and the wires get hot then go dead".

Please describe "go dead" Does is just stop as if you shut the on/off switch off ? Or does it sputter and slowly die ?

You also said "will run for a few minutes and the wires get hot then go dead."

What wire(s) get hot ?

Richard
Convert the SAM means remove the Spark Advance Module which is a small box on the side of the engine on certain Kohler engines, and then replace the modules with MDI which has the spark advance built into the module.

Other than that I have the same question about what wires are getting hot. Is the now unused Battery power wire that went to the SAM grounding out, Or something along the lines of one of the wires that run along the intake manifold came loose and made contact with the flywheel causing a short.

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #16  
Good morning thank you for the quick response this machine is so unpredictable. Most of the time it'll start then go back dead unless you keep the key in the Start position. It's loosing spark. The only time the wires are getting hot is after it's been running for a couple of minutes. Yesterday it finally melted the fuse and didn't blow it.

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #17  
Convert the SAM means remove the Spark Advance Module which is a small box on the side of the engine on certain Kohler engines, and then replace the modules with MDI which has the spark advance built into the module.

Other than that I have the same question about what wires are getting hot. Is the now unused Battery power wire that went to the SAM grounding out, Or something along the lines of one of the wires that run along the intake manifold came loose and made contact with the flywheel causing a short.
I don't have any unused wires the Sam has been completely removed

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #18  
Good morning thank you for the quick response this machine is so unpredictable. Most of the time it'll start then go back dead unless you keep the key in the Start position. It's loosing spark. The only time the wires are getting hot is after it's been running for a couple of minutes. Yesterday it finally melted the fuse and didn't blow it.
Melting the fuse or fuse holder is normally a sign of a poor corroded connector at the fuse. Getting ready to replace the fuse holder in a CC Tank because the terminals in the holder are corroded and heating up the fuse.

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #19  
Melting the fuse or fuse holder is normally a sign of a poor corroded connector at the fuse. Getting ready to replace the fuse holder in a CC Tank because the terminals in the holder are corroded and heating up the fuse.
That's what is confusing this looks great. I probably have a short somewhere just got to figure out where? I really don't know