Electrical Service Question /Concern

/ Electrical Service Question /Concern #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
I live in a normal 1000 sq ft bungalow (2000 sq ft if you include the finished basement ) built in 1995. I live rurally with over head service from rural road 200 feet away . So one hydro pole on my property that I own. The pole on the street owned by the hydro company has a typical transformer and disconnect there. Last year a animal must of got caught in the disconnect and it flipped off and I lost all power so I called my Hydro company and within the hour they came with a truck and the guy with a pole flipped the disconnect and I was back in business full power.
Now in my house my service panel is a 200 amp one , with the breakers evenly spaced on both sides of the panel. We do not have a surge protector on the complete panel, but we did buy surge protector outlets or cords for the fridge , the computer , the combi boiler and the two TV's have surge protector extension cords. In the past our area does get the odd power outage due to wind and trees or other issues but when that happens like expected , all our service is dead......So that gives you the layout and history.
Last night we had a severe wind storm and for a very short time period (maybe 2 seconds) the lights went out in maybe half the house random locations then came back on. Meanwhile the other areas in house were not effected. For example I was watching TV upstairs and it did not even flicker , and if you know satellite TV then you would know how typical it is for them to be effected. Same as down stairs TV my wife was watching, (different circuit too) did not flicker, but a light in another room went out and then came back on seconds later.

So what worries me is how can wind cause me to lose for a second or two just part of my power. (so it was not a brown out, it is was something else)

My first thought was loose connection pulled by wind either at pole or in my service panel but I am just guessing. Or is it possible that my Hydro supplier can send power interrupted like that ?

what thoughts , should I be investigating further ?

/ Electrical Service Question /Concern #2  
You lost one "leg" of your 120/240V service.

(IMHO) 3 possibilities why:

1) You lost 1 hot leg of your (120/240V) service between the transformer and your panel. Most likely at the weatherhead connection where the overhead wire from the pole connects to your cable from the panel.

2) Look closely at the transformer on the pole: Does it have one or two wires connected to the primary overhead line that runs down the road? If two connections, the utility may have lost one phase on their (high voltage) primary line.

3) You might have a poor ground/neutral connection and you didn't actually lose half your loads, it's just that the 240 voltage split across them was so low.......naw, scratch this, the lights that stayed on would of gotten a lot brighter, etc...

/ Electrical Service Question /Concern #3  
Well .... yes it is possible. You probably have a 230 volt 3 wire service which is two 120 volt legs and a neutral. If one leg is interrupted or was shorted to the neutral (ground) then you could lose 1/2 of your power.

/ Electrical Service Question /Concern #4  
I'd contact the power company and voice my concerns. Can't hurt to do that.

/ Electrical Service Question /Concern #5  
As stated call the utility. I'm fairly certain Coby is correct but utility will let you know. If it is your attachment point you may need to hire an electrician depends on the utility.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TractorByNet

/ Electrical Service Question /Concern #6  
If your username is about where you live, I would suggest looking up on Ontario Hydros'/Hydro Ones' website for the list of their 'approved' electricians to work on your service.

/ Electrical Service Question /Concern #7  
Just for my curiosity sake, if a 220 volt appliance takes 110 from each leg, and one leg is gone for some reason, if running could the 220 volt appliance burn out. I think it could.

/ Electrical Service Question /Concern #8  
Just for my curiosity sake, if a 220 volt appliance takes 110 from each leg, and one leg is gone for some reason, if running could the 220 volt appliance burn out. I think it could.
It depends ..... most 220 appliances draw power from both legs so when one leg goes out the circuit is open (off). There are a few that use both legs as 115 volts to neutral. Those might do strange things but probably not damage them.

/ Electrical Service Question /Concern #9  
As soon as
seeing the word "Hydro". I knew without looking that the poster is a Canadian and probably from Ontario or Quebec.