Electrical Issue

/ Electrical Issue #31  
Same thing happened me. Check your ground at the battery negative to the frame. My fuses were blowing too

/ Electrical Issue #32  
Probably not the problem but as been mentioned check the battery cable to frame mount ground connection. I have a '97 770, just a manual version of yours, and I recently replaced the battery tray/box area in mine and you would be surprised at the spark you get at the ground end of the cable. It may also be the issue with the "dying when using it", if it's loose or just corroded enough it may drop all your electrical which your solenoid needs?

Something else to think about,
Not sure what year you have as to where your battery is mounted but I ended up putting the battery in a "boat" style battery box. It's just a plastic box with a lid made for for battery's so the floor doesn't get acid on it. Should of done it 25 years ago!! I had to replace pretty much all the inner tin pieces near the battery.

/ Electrical Issue #33  
As long as were talking about electrical faults, I'd like to say this:
A SHORT is a quick way of saying a "short circuit to ground" and that's the only place a short goes--to GROUND, prematurely--before power gets to its intended load. Usually this condition results in a blown fuse or burned up wires (if the fuse isn't sized correctly)

A "bad" connection is a circuit that is not complete--ie: an "open" or partially open circuit. These include broken wires, corroded or loose, poor connections. An "open circuit" will not blow a fuse, altho a poor connection will sometimes create heat and be warmer at that location than the rest of the circuit.

Id also add that if you have starter trouble, there are 4 places to check and clean--the 2 battery terminals, the 1 large wire on the starter solenoid and the GROUND cable on the chassis.
Remember, a full circuit starts at the + battery and ends at the - battery. The ground circuit is every bit as necessary as the supply circuit.

Happy Troubleshooting!

/ Electrical Issue #34  
As long as were talking about electrical faults, I'd like to say this:
A SHORT is a quick way of saying a "short circuit to ground" and that's the only place a short goes--to GROUND, prematurely--before power gets to its intended load. Usually this condition results in a blown fuse or burned up wires (if the fuse isn't sized correctly)

A "bad" connection is a circuit that is not complete--ie: an "open" or partially open circuit. These include broken wires, corroded or loose, poor connections. An "open circuit" will not blow a fuse, altho a poor connection will sometimes create heat and be warmer at that location than the rest of the circuit.

Id also add that if you have starter trouble, there are 4 places to check and clean--the 2 battery terminals, the 1 large wire on the starter solenoid and the GROUND cable on the chassis.
Remember, a full circuit starts at the + battery and ends at the - battery. The ground circuit is every bit as necessary as the supply circuit.

Happy Troubleshooting!
very accurate summary,

Shorts are generally caused by poor insulation, ( hint this is what the "Megohm" range on your meter is for :) )

Bad connections are caused by poor conductivity, ( hint this is what the "ohm" range on your meter is for :) )