Electric Riding Mowers

/ Electric Riding Mowers #21  
My coworker has had the Ryobi electric zero turn going on three years and loves it. Hasn’t had to do anything but sharpen the blades.

/ Electric Riding Mowers #22  
So you have accumulated 19 Ryobi 40v 8ah batteries. Home Depot is listing these at $279 each. So if my math is correct, you have 19 X 279 = $5301.00 invested in batteries. That's a lot of money.

I hope that works out for you.
Various sizes from 2ah, 4ah, 6ah and 8 ah. They all came with the tools because unlike my milwaulee tool line for m18 and m12 batteries, Ryobi doesnt uave much in the tool only category at HD. I only bought one 4ah extra seperate from all the Ryobi tools.

/ Electric Riding Mowers
Does anyone know if these electric riders can be stored in sub freezing temps over the winter? It sometimes gets below zero in my barn.

I know charging lithium batteries at low temps can damage them and can also be hazardous. For riders with removable batteries, this isn't an issue since they could be taken out and stored inside. Not all makes have this feature though.

It's one thing to store the batteries indoors but many, including myself, don't have enough space to store the entire machine inside.

/ Electric Riding Mowers #25  
I tend to be the type of guy that avoids new technology, and then waits to see if it works out or fails. I was doing just that with cordless weed eaters when my wife surprised me and bought the Makita for me as a gift. I have been amazed at how well it works, and how much more I enjoy weed eating now that I don't have to deal with fueling it up and getting it started. Not having the loud noise of the engine is also a huge plus!!!

I've glanced at the battery powered lawn mowers at Lowes and Home Depot, but I haven't looked at any of them seriously. I like the idea of having something for around the house that doesn't need to be filled with gas every time you use it, and that my wife would be comfortable using. She tried the zero turn and doesn't like it, but she wants a riding mower so she can help out with mowing.

I can see buying one in the future, I'm just not ready to commit to one without a good idea of what to do when the battery stops holding a charge.

/ Electric Riding Mowers #27  
My daughter is renting a small house with a small yard. A walk behind electric mower is easier for her in that situation.

For a bigger yard or one that's tough to mow, a gas rider still seems like the most economical solution. You could buy two or three gas riders for the cost of one of these 80v ZTRs, but the OP said his wife is allergic to exhaust fumes.

The smaller electric riding Ryobi would be cheaper to buy. I think there are some videos about replacing the batteries with aftermarket batteries. It would be a step up from a walk behind, but not as danged expensive as the 80v ZTR.

/ Electric Riding Mowers #28  
I was getting pretty hot for a new Zero-Turn mower yesterday, and of course electric rears it head.
Grass is coming thru holes in my John Deere deck, but it still cuts fine, so I should probably just wait this year out....

What is compelling is:

1) The quiet. You have a conversation with co-workers because the start/stop is instant.
2) The maintenance. I have appx 50 gas/diesel engines in my sphere. I know how to do maintenance. I NEVER "take it in". When one tool has significantly less maintenance, it gets noticed.
3) Just get off the mower, move the hose, knock down a mole-hill, pick up that garden-trowel (etc.) get back on.
4) Recharge. Yesterday I was mowing, low on gas. I
mowed 'quickly' to get done before running out,
because I preferred to get done without a drive to the gas station.

These were game-changers with the chainsaw (and 18v shop tools).

The one thing that worries me is the danged battery.
Am I going to have a $6,000 brick "when" the battery goes bad, is too expensive, or "No Longer Available"?

It could be dependent somewhat upon the complexity or adaptability to other batteries.
Some brands could have a complex electrical relationship with "the factory battery" .
And there's the the voltage (48volts and 80volts etc).

/ Electric Riding Mowers #30  
2many, that's a reasonable price but I want 42 or 54 to minimize mowing time.
But thanks for your research that it has sealed-lead-acid batteries.
HomeDepot doesn't share that detail.
"Apparently" it has four separate 12v 50Ah batteries that weigh 32 lbs each
The 54" has four separate 115Ah batteries. I suppose the 115Ah would weigh about 75 lbs each?
Does anyone know if the 48v Ryobis will operate on a simple "48v + and -"?