Electric Logsplitter?

/ Electric Logsplitter? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
OK, mabe this isn't really an attatchment, since I'm looking for a stand-alone unit, but...

I'm looking for an electric logsplitter. I live not far from the Country Home Products plant in Vermont, so have seen plenty of the DR electric splitters. I need something a bit more heavy duty. I had found a 12 ton unit a couple of years ago, but comments on the company and a check with the Better Business Bureau scared me off (I can't remember the company's name now).

I don't need super-heavy duty - I have access to a neighbor's home-made 3 pt hitch unit for the really tough jobs. I'm thinking in the 7 to 12 ton range, and well build enough to hold up well. I'd like to go electric (one less gas engine to maintain). I found these Omega Splitters on the web. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them, or can recommend something else in this size range.

John Mc

/ Electric Logsplitter? #3  
Northern Tool has a 5 ton electric splitter for about $300 and a couple gas motor 20 ton units for about a grand. I think Harbor Freight also has an electric one but couldn't find a recent ad with one. Northern has hydraulic splitters for a 3 pt. hookup but don't know if you have a tractor. They range $499 and up.

/ Electric Logsplitter?
jeffinsgf said:
This is a little lighter than your request, but I have one of these that has served me well for many years.

Fisch Precision Tools

I've not seen the Fisch unit in person, but every other 4 or 5 ton unit I have seen (3 or 4 diferent brands) is just too lightly built for my purposes. So I'm hesitant to spring for one in this size range. Also, the 36 second cycle time (if I did my math right... 100 splits per hour) would drive me batty waiting.

John Mc

/ Electric Logsplitter?
George2615 said:
Northern Tool has a 5 ton electric splitter for about $300 and a couple gas motor 20 ton units for about a grand. I think Harbor Freight also has an electric one but couldn't find a recent ad with one. Northern has hydraulic splitters for a 3 pt. hookup but don't know if you have a tractor. They range $499 and up.

I do own a tractor, and have access to a home-made 3 point logsplitter. I'm looking for a well built electric one (no gas engine to maintain, and don't have to fire up the tractor and get my neighbors 3 pt splitter every time I want to split... the splitting maul is fun and good excercise for a while, but not something I prefer when I have a good pile to work on... especially if it's Elm I'm splitting).

BTW... I see you are from Central Square. My wife is from Pulaski. Grew up right near where the Salmon River runs into Lake Ontario.

John Mc

/ Electric Logsplitter? #6  
Its a small world John. Pulaski is just a stones throw north of me. Recently found another member from West Monroe also. Good luck finding your splitter.

/ Electric Logsplitter? #7  
John_Mc said:
OK, mabe this isn't really an attatchment, since I'm looking for a stand-alone unit, but...

I'm looking for an electric logsplitter. I live not far from the Country Home Products plant in Vermont, so have seen plenty of the DR electric splitters. I need something a bit more heavy duty. I had found a 12 ton unit a couple of years ago, but comments on the company and a check with the Better Business Bureau scared me off (I can't remember the company's name now).

John Mc

Hello John,

Don't know anything about this log spliter, but it looks pretty good. Not sure just how far away you are from Plattsburg, NY but there is a Alex's True Value there and the store in Chateaugay, NY carries them. I went to school with John Alex and he is a pretty good old boy.

The toughest Log Splitter available

/ Electric Logsplitter?
WayneB said:
Hello John,

Don't know anything about this log spliter, but it looks pretty good. Not sure just how far away you are from Plattsburg, NY but there is a Alex's True Value there and the store in Chateaugay, NY carries them. I went to school with John Alex and he is a pretty good old boy.

The toughest Log Splitter available

That's the electric splitter I looked into some time ago and lost the link to. I was hesitant to buy, since a couple of people had real horror stories like ordering online direct from manufactuer, having it arrive at the shipping company so damaged that they called and said "it's not worth delivering" then never getting their money back (or evan a response) from the manufacturer. That prompted my check with the Better Business Bureau -- similar complaints on file.

However, Plattsburg is just a short ferry ride across Lake Champlain from me. If I can see one "live" and pick it up myself, it looks worth checking out.

Thanks for the info.

John Mc