Electric fence/garden/DC/solar fence?

/ Electric fence/garden/DC/solar fence? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Recently I bought adjoining land that has a nice creek going through the bottom. There's a spot I'd like to put in a small garden, it's in full sun, rich soil near the creek. Just wife and me, so just maybe 100ft x 50ft should be fine. Creek drops down about 8'-10' below flat ground level.
I have 2 tractors, lots of equipment. My idea is to auger in posts which I already have, then I have a roll of 4ft fencing, lots of insulators & wire so I would fence it, then wire top and bottom, so everything is charged. It's way away from power source so this is where ideas helpful. I'm thinking a solar fence charger or a DC (battery) powered charger. That area has deer, rabbits, turkey, etc.
My problem is I'm trying to keep cost down. I don't want to tie up $200-$300 since it gets to the point it's not cost effective. Also to run a DC irrigation pump would be nice.
Thanks for any ideas.
...Gary

/ Electric fence/garden/DC/solar fence? #2  
Solar works great if sized properly... you will need to figure on battery replacement eventually.

On the farm we just went with 8 foot fencing for deer and so far it has been 98% effective.

The electric top and bottom did nothing to deter the deer.

The fence and electric also don't stop the birds... a flock can do a lot of damage.

/ Electric fence/garden/DC/solar fence? #3  
I have the smallest TSC solar fence controller on our horse pastures. It is running about 600’ of single strand wire that just keeps the horses from rubbing their arses on the fence. Works good. In about 10 years I have replaced the battery once.