Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I have about 100 ft of concrete walkway to break up and replace this summer. My old Makita hammer will do it, but my back is not what it used to be. This winter I made an adapter so the hammer can be mounted on the backhoe coupler. The backhoe is just used to position the hammer, not to put down force on it. The bottom plate of the adapter connects to the hammer. The top plate of the adapter connects to the quick coupler. In between are four 1" bolts with eight moderately heavy springs. The springs allow me to position the hammer without putting excess down force on it. I put a weather resistant switch enclosure on the ROPS. One power cord goes to the hammer, another goes to a building receptacle. I could run the hammer from a generator too but since the walkway is between buildings I can use a long extension cord. The setup works as planned.

Photo 1: the adapter mounted to the hammer.
Photo 2: four wraps of strong rubber sheet around the handle to protect it from the clamp.
Photo 3: hammer mounted on the backhoe.
Photo 4: springs extended.
Photo 5: springs compressed.
Photo 6: hammer control switch.

Attachments

• breaker1.jpg
    breaker1.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 629
  • breaker2.jpg
    breaker2.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 435
  • breaker3.jpg
    breaker3.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 428
  • breaker4.jpg
    breaker4.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 458
  • breaker5.jpg
    breaker5.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 572
  • breaker6.jpg
    breaker6.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 507
   / Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #2  
Interesting set up. And nice idea on the back saver. Now you just need to put some of that Kubota paint on the demolition hammer :)

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #3  
Paint and a video LOL

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #4  
I've thought about same before... but was able to work a deal with a crew that needed to cross my property and they had a hammer on a Case backhoe.

I was trying to bust up some rock on a ledge and using the loader bucket as my platform to work from.

Often I thought how much nicer this would be from the seat of the backhoe instead of standing in the bucket.

Very nice work!

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #5  
I have a bunch of hand held hydraulic jack hammers. I think it's way too much fun to man handle them for the very occasional use they get rather than mount them on a hoe.

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #6  
That's awesome! Well thought out, well executed, I love it!

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #7  
Nice job, Pat! My back feels better just looking at the photos

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #8  
Great job on the machining and assembly work! Looks like I made it myself! Yes, video please.

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #9  
that is really nice planning and completion. Can you use it horizontally to bust out a wall if the need came up?

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe
that is really nice planning and completion. Can you use it horizontally to bust out a wall if the need came up?

Yes I think so. The hammer is clamped at the main handle, and also at the side handle. I hooked the side handle up to allow slightly off-vertical use. I was not thinking of completely horizontal. But it could be used that way, sticking straight out behind. No different than handheld operation I guess.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

New MIVA Tilting Bucket Excavator Attachment 32" (A34302)
New MIVA Tilting...
1970 DODGE 100 PICKUP, S/N D14AEU142751. 318 V8 GAS ENG, 3 ON TREE TRANS, OD READS 86817 MILES, (A34808)
1970 DODGE 100...
2014 KENWORTH W900 T/A TRUCK TRACTOR, S/N...1XKWD49X1EJ404677, ISX15 CUMMINS ENG, 13 SPD TRANS, OD (A34808)
2014 KENWORTH W900...
2015 John Deere R4045 Spreader (A33783)
2015 John Deere...
2023 John Deere 5090E MFWD Tractor (A33783)
2023 John Deere...
2014 KENWORTH W900 T/A TRUCK TRACTOR, S/N...1XKWD49X1EJ404677, ISX15 CUMMINS ENG, 13 SPD TRANS, OD (A34808)
2014 KENWORTH W900...