eHydrostatic Transmission

/ eHydrostatic Transmission #1  

johndeerefarmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 6105R, Deere 620, Deere 340G, Deere 329D
A few years ago I bought a 4066R cab tractor. I didn't like it for several reasons. AC didn't work good, didn't seem like it had the power it was rated for, and I didn't really care for the ehydro transmission. I sold it after a year and got a Deere skid steer for use at our vacation home.

Now I need a small tractor again for mainly mowing the 35 acres, and hauling firewood and use as a forklift around the shop (pallet forks).
I am looking at the the 3039R or a 4052 or 4052M (for the CAT II hitch as I have several implements to fit it). It seems Deere and others are really pushing the ehydro transmissions while I am use to shuttle shifts, TSS or PowerQuad trannys
From my experience the ehydro must use lots of power as compared to a gear driven transmission. Anybody got any idea how much?
Second the one I owned had the dual foot pedals. I don't see them working very well in Colorado. The ground is rocky and rough and I imagine that every bump you hit will make you press on the pedal. I know they have cruise control but I see that mainly for mowing, not just running around the place moving firewood, etc

Thoughts?

/ eHydrostatic Transmission #2  
Not on a JD, but the hydro pedal on bumpy ground was a concern for me while shopping my first hydrostatic. Turned out to be a total non-issue.
My current tractor has some really handy transmission control adjustments, like response of the transmission to pedal movement.

/ eHydrostatic Transmission #3  
Not on a JD, but the hydro pedal on bumpy ground was a concern for me while shopping my first hydrostatic. Turned out to be a total non-issue.
My current tractor has some really handy transmission control adjustments, like response of the transmission to pedal movement.
Our current tractor has a HST plus transmission. I was not convinced when we first got it. My experience was all in gear and shuttle transmissions. We don't have enough flat ground here to mow, so the work is mostly rocks and firewood. For 15 years it has been trouble free and is as handy as a thumb on a mitten.
The HST plus has lots of instrument panel adjustments for attack rate and response. The additional speeds are nice too.
The foot control is an oversize treadle with a projection out to the side. So it works like a side by side dual foot pedal except that you move your whole foot back and forth instead of side to side. More intuitive.
rScotty

/ eHydrostatic Transmission #4  
A few years ago I bought a 4066R cab tractor. I didn't like it for several reasons. AC didn't work good, didn't seem like it had the power it was rated for, and I didn't really care for the ehydro transmission. I sold it after a year and got a Deere skid steer for use at our vacation home.

Now I need a small tractor again for mainly mowing the 35 acres, and hauling firewood and use as a forklift around the shop (pallet forks).
I am looking at the the 3039R or a 4052 or 4052M (for the CAT II hitch as I have several implements to fit it). It seems Deere and others are really pushing the ehydro transmissions while I am use to shuttle shifts, TSS or PowerQuad trannys
From my experience the ehydro must use lots of power as compared to a gear driven transmission. Anybody got any idea how much?
Second the one I owned had the dual foot pedals. I don't see them working very well in Colorado. The ground is rocky and rough and I imagine that every bump you hit will make you press on the pedal. I know they have cruise control but I see that mainly for mowing, not just running around the place moving firewood, etc

Thoughts?
According to JD literature, the 4066R loses about 14HP to the PTO. But then even the shuttle loses about 13hp to the PTO. So I'm not sure that is really that much to give up to have the HST convenience.

Your call, but you might want to at least look at the Kubota Grand L models.
Their HST trans is unsurpassed in the industry.

/ eHydrostatic Transmission #5  
   / eHydrostatic Transmission
I will take a look. Thanks

/ eHydrostatic Transmission #7  
Hydrostats are easier to learn and for folks who are new to the equipment operating world they make the learning curve much shorter and shallower. Most of the folks here are not use to operating heavy equipment so the quick learning is a major benefit. Remember the average compact tractor only gets 27 hours of use a year. HST transmissions do not transmit the power to the ground like a geared tractor does. I know that a Kubota MX4700 hydro will climb hills much worse than My Massey 20C despite being half the weight. The difference is that the gear tractor can put most the power to the ground whereas the hydrostat consumes to much of the power.

The only company that offers a powershift in compacts is Kubota they call it a GlideShift (GST). It is much nicer than a Hydro in my opinion, however has an inconsistent lag in shifting that can be annoying. The current models are L4060, L4760, L5060. The next best option is to get a giant engine so you can overcome the power loss. Please note that the loss is PTO HP not drawbar HP as no one lists drawbar HP in their literature.
According to JD literature, the 4066R loses about 14HP to the PTO.
I would love to see the test results from the Nebraska tests on a hydrostat. I imagine most folks would be in shock how quickly the drawbar HP drops off once you get out of low range.

It is surprising how easy it is to keep an HST pedal consistent when going over rough ground. I would not be worried about surging, as the two pedal design has dampeners in it allowing you to keep it at the same level so no surging, just a tired foot. I really wish New Holland still offered the CVT compacts they would have been the cats meow, good power and easy learning.

Last edited: