Effects of Trailer length

/ Effects of Trailer length #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I'm getting ready to buy a new bumper pull PJ equipment trailer. I've used 16-18' trailers in the past that handle my 8000lb load very well. Truck pulls good without issues. Then I bought a new 20' Kaufman that has been a nightmare and pulls bad. Jerks truck and way more vibration than the Towmaster and other trailers. Now the PJ I'm looking at is a 22' so is a bit longer. So does trailer length cause more issue which is party why the Kaufman pulls worse than the 16-18' trailer? I would like to go from 20-22' but if that can potentially make things worse towing then may just stick with a 20' version. Again, keep in mind I've only towed with one 20 footer so can't really compare it to another 20' trailer. All the ones I have used are bumper pulled and deck between fenders.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Effects of Trailer length #2  
It would be helpful if you provided the exact towing situation you are referencing.

Assuming the trailer is built properly, I believe it has more to do with load distribution, hitch weight percentage and the actual tow vehicle hitch, plus the tow vehicle suspension. It all works in unison.

I had a 24' inshore, IB, cuddy cabin, hard top, fishing boat on the back of my 1996 Jeep GC using an Equalizer brand weight distribution/sway control assembly. The rig was ~ 11' tall and towed beautifully up and down hills on Interstate and two lanes alike in any weather. Never a problem. Handled perfectly.

All of my smaller trailers handled well with standard bumper hitches.

I recently purchased a 20', 10.4K# Lawrimore equipment trailer and the 75 mile drive home with a standard bumper pull hitch, trailer empty, on a very windy day was a white knuckle experience when I was on the open Interstate and only calmed down to a more normal drive once I was inside the city limits where the wind had far less effect. I spent a lot of time with the trailer brake controller and could not get much above 55 MPH. I have yet to tow this trailer loaded (Jeep is not capable) to see how it pulls. But I expect loaded, with the proper tow vehicle, using the same Equalizer hitch with built-in sway control, the drive will be fine.

Jerking, bouncing and sway has a lot to do with load distribution, tow vehicle suspension (and length), tow vehicle hitch and proper load equalizing stabilizer bars (proper weight rating). Some folks can tow without a load distributing/sway control hitch in THEIR circumstances and many others require it. Take a look at most heavy towed rigs going down the road and you will see an equalizer hitch, whether it is a 3/4 ton/1 ton truck or less.

BTW: You can always ask the trailer dealer for a test pull.

/ Effects of Trailer length
My truck is a 2008 F250 diesel crew cab. Load is a Ford 4610 tractor with HD 6' bush hog. It has always been same load on all trailers and have never needed a weight equalizing hitch as all pulled fantastic except the 20' Kaufman. All trailers exact same design except for length. I have move the load around but nothing helps. I really know where it needs to be anyway but did try to move it around a bit. Nothing helps the Kaufman. After reading their reviews and going to the BBB and seeing their F rating I now feel it's the trailer but wanted to ask anyways. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Effects of Trailer length #4  
I've always found longer trailers to be smoother to pull. I'd bet there is some sort of issue with the Kaufman unable to be easily seen.

/ Effects of Trailer length #5  
I've always found longer trailers to be smoother to pull. I'd bet there is some sort of issue with the Kaufman unable to be easily seen.

And easier to backup also.

If you do not find a satisfactory answer in the coming posts, I would suggest you borrow a load equalizing/sway assy. It could just be a combination of this particular tow assembly that could now need one.

I would also measure the trailer axles to ensure they are lined up/parallel with the trailer frame. I can't imagine what else would cause this.

/ Effects of Trailer length #6  
My 20 foot trailer hardly ever feels like it is behind the truck. Only when it hits a pot hole or something can you feel it behind the truck. I cant imagine what could make yours so rough to pull.

/ Effects of Trailer length #7  
Also look for a bent wheel by jacking up the sides of the trailer and spinning each wheel and looking for out of true.

/ Effects of Trailer length #8  
I would also measure the trailer axles to ensure they are lined up/parallel with the trailer frame.

I prefer my trailer axles perpendicular to the frame. :)

Also check the hangers and equalizers to be sure they are a matched set and installed correctly.

Bruce

/ Effects of Trailer length #9  
   / Effects of Trailer length #10  
Being in the trailer business for 25 years I see two issues more often than not with bad towing trailers.

First is Bias tires. I will not touch them.

Second is unbalanced wheel and tire assemblies. I demand all my stuff gets spun balanced.

Chris