Oil & Fuel Effect of wrong hydraulic oil?

/ Effect of wrong hydraulic oil? #1  

rsl360

Tractor
electrak e12, e15, e20, Terramite T9 4WD
I am aware that one cannot put "normal" hydraulic oil into a Terramite. (a fairly recent T9 in this case) But how sensitive is it to contamination? I just got a new hydraulic cylinder and it was tested using normal (EVIL!) hydraulic oil. Obviously I can pour out what's in there. Is that enough, or do I do a thorough flushing with the correct oil? And even then, how much is thorough enough?

Does anyone know specifically why hydraulic oil in not compatible with our tractors?

R

/ Effect of wrong hydraulic oil? #2  
I am aware that one cannot put "normal" hydraulic oil into a Terramite. (a fairly recent T9 in this case) But how sensitive is it to contamination? I just got a new hydraulic cylinder and it was tested using normal (EVIL!) hydraulic oil. Obviously I can pour out what's in there. Is that enough, or do I do a thorough flushing with the correct oil? And even then, how much is thorough enough?

Does anyone know specifically why hydraulic oil in not compatible with our tractors?

R

I don't have an answer to your question, but where on the Cape are you?

/ Effect of wrong hydraulic oil? #3  
Just pour out the bad stuff and refill with the good. Won't be enough of the bad stuff in there to do any harm.

Wash it out with diesel if you're unsure. Low sulfur diesel is pretty good stuff now. In removing the sulfur, they've removed essentially all the bad stuff. For instance, I stored a Benz with fuel tank full of older type (before low sulfur) diesel for 4 years. It was BROWN when we came back.

Recently, I became concerned that my 8 year old low sulfur diesel in the 60 gallon tank of our generator could be brown. It isn't. I'm just gradually using some in my tractor to get it down to about 20 gallons. After that, I'll put fresh low sulfur in the tank.

A tad of diesel left over in the hydraulic cylinder after the flush won't be a problem.

Ralph

/ Effect of wrong hydraulic oil? #4  
IMHO hydraulic oil requirements from equipment mfg’ers are usually set by the pump OEM’s in their systems. The cylinders and valves don’t really care what get run through but pumps need to be happy and cool. What is Terramite recommending for fluid.....motor oil?