Economy PTO. setting U use it?

/ Economy PTO. setting U use it? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
does anyone use their economy RPM PTO setting? Personally, (for no real reason) i just never bother with it when I'm mowing, etc. other than maybe saving some fuel, i think the engine will struggle less up and down hills and (maybe wrong) but the mower tip speed is higher at the "normal" PTO RPMs. Btw, I'm using a JD 4720 MY 2011 cab.

/ Economy PTO. setting U use it? #2  
If you don't have the optional economy pto gear to shift the pto into, the econo mark on the tach is worthless to you.

/ Economy PTO. setting U use it? #3  
I have used it a few times, mainly for rototilling and light bush hogging. When putting out fertilizer with the 3pt spin spreader or running a pto sprayer pump are some other good uses. For heavy work such as tall tough weeds or tough ground I use the standard pto setting.

/ Economy PTO. setting U use it? #4  
Yes I use it for sickle bar mowing, fertlize spreader, 300 gal chemical spraying using the pto pump, log splitter, and other light duty things. Light duty means of the pto still turning 540 rpm's with the engine turning way less. It saves me alot of fuel sickle mowing and spraying where the pto must turn 540 rpm's to properly work.

/ Economy PTO. setting U use it? #5  
I use mine when raking (rotary rake) and spreading fertilizer. Oh yah, tedding hay, too.

AKfish

/ Economy PTO. setting U use it? #6  
If you don't have the optional economy pto gear to shift the pto into, the econo mark on the tach is worthless to you.
Yep, and last time I looked the option was only available on the 4520 and 4720 models in the 4X20 series. Sure wish I had it on my 4320 which does have the "econo" icon on the tach but not the option. Would be nice for spraying, light brush hog work, sickle bar mowing and spreading fertilizer.

/ Economy PTO. setting U use it? #7  
Yep, most of the time.

The 5085M will even handle my 7' brush-hog and 8' hay mower in "E" mode. It doesn't like it though, when I try to roll hay in the "540E" setting. ;)

/ Economy PTO. setting U use it? #8  
I use 540E to mow with my 9' disc mower and to bale hay. Come to think of it, I haven't used the regular PTO yet. It's nice to have the extra horse power that you don't have to worry about working the guts out of the tractor, plus it saves on fuel.

/ Economy PTO. setting U use it? #9  
I use it with my 7' finish mower, when the mowing is light. Used it with a 20kw generator 2 years ago during power outage during the winter. The gen was much larger than needed but it was all we had. Put it on the JD 4520 and ran all night on Epto. Next morning, my brother checked the fuel gauge and it was still on full. He thought the gauge was broken. Started adding fuel and it is spilled out quickly. It used so little fuel, the gauge still registered full! Epto is a great way to run a generator if the loads are not heavy.

/ Economy PTO. setting U use it? #10  
I use the E-PTO on my 4520 to run my MX6 (6 foot rotary cutter) when I'm just "mowing the lawn" (light cutting on areas I keep looking yard-like (from a distance).

Use the normal PTO for areas I only cut once a year.

Use the E-PTO for the sickle bar.

Pete