eBay/Craigslist EBay L35

/ EBay L35 #1  

SLOBuds

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L35
I have a couple of questions about this listing:

Kubota L35 Tractor Loader Backhoe L 35 Industrial duty - (eBay item 280154987408 end time Sep-26-07 18:30:00 PDT)

I'm not familiar with the TLB line from Kubota. It basically looks like a somewhat 'heavy duty' regular tractor. With backhoe. It looks like it has all of the regular capabilities, plus maybe a few more.

I'm assuming that I can get a normal box scraper on it - I see the 3PH on the Kubota site. Same with box scraper, PHD, TNT, brush hog/flail, etc.

1. Is there anything I should be aware of that this line (TLB) is NOT capable of doing or using as attachments?

2. What do you think my high bid should be on this tractor, if I wanted it?

I am interested in this general configuration of tranny and HP - and the location is right for me.

Thanks,
Martin

/ EBay L35 #2  
TLB's are beat more than Ag tractors. Rental machines are abused. Loose joints, bushings & pins, cracks in the frame and structural members.

Still, the L35 was a very good machine. Could be ok. You really really really really really should have a pro look it over and give you and honest condition report. Repairs on TLB's can eat you alive.

jb

/ EBay L35 #3  
SLOBuds said:
...1. Is there anything I should be aware of that this line (TLB) is NOT capable of doing or using as attachments?...
The Kubota TLBs are purpose built to handle FELs with HD buckets and HD backhoes. The 3 point hitch and rear PTO are "standard" stuff.

The FELs are built into the tractor and not easily detached.

Talon Dancer

/ EBay L35 #4  
SLOBuds said:
I have a couple of questions about this listing:

Kubota L35 Tractor Loader Backhoe L 35 Industrial duty - (eBay item 280154987408 end time Sep-26-07 18:30:00 PDT)

I'm not familiar with the TLB line from Kubota. It basically looks like a somewhat 'heavy duty' regular tractor. With backhoe. It looks like it has all of the regular capabilities, plus maybe a few more.

I'm assuming that I can get a normal box scraper on it - I see the 3PH on the Kubota site. Same with box scraper, PHD, TNT, brush hog/flail, etc.

1. Is there anything I should be aware of that this line (TLB) is NOT capable of doing or using as attachments?

2. What do you think my high bid should be on this tractor, if I wanted it?

I am interested in this general configuration of tranny and HP - and the location is right for me.

Thanks,
Martin

Martin: I purchased a new L-35 in '95 when the demand was greater than the supply; I paid $32000 for it and after 13 years of total reliability, no problems. It is an awesome TLB for the purpose it was intended. The only shortcomings are the seat "PITA," (see in the Review section of this site). The other problem is radius of turns on the front tires on hard surfaces; the outside tire skids in a tight turn causing increased wear. I still have mine with no thought of ever selling! Since it has been a rental, I would check the clutch for wear, even though it is a GST trans. (If the clutch was abused; that could be a pricey fix?) The pins and bushings on the BH, and the color of the fluids should be checked too! The sellers price seems fair, even without bidding; but pictures can be deceiving? With a little TLC, I think you could get your money out of it in future years? You may also get comparable prices of the L-35's on Tractorhouse.com---LEE

/ EBay L35 #5  
Make sure that the 3pt arms and related pieces are included with the tractor. Rental machines many times never have the backhoe removed so the 3pt equipment gets lost in the shuffle. A couple of people have had to replace these and they are very pricey.

MarkV

/ EBay L35
Well, I think I'll pull the trigger on this one. Can't believe after all these years I am finally (almost) there. Just needs a CFO approval - she gave a preliminary OK last night. Seller and me agreed on basics. I have the right of refusal, with full refund, upon inspection.

The package is very nice, all-in-all. I will post details as soon as it's in my back yard. Don't want to spoil the magic.

If anyone lives between Utah and California, this guy is also selling a VERY nice trailer. It's just too much for my small 10 acre parcel. I don't need it. But I would also guess that good pricing would be available if the deals were struck at the same time.

Send me PM if you might be interested. You should look at the eBay posting because he has a picture of the trailer which, to me, looks very very nice. And the price would be hard to beat with that level of quality.

I've decided to try to find a mechanic in Utah who would look over the machine and tell me about problems, or watch items. It does look fine in the pictures, but it is also true that it was a rental - 800 hours. He put on 200 more hours. Records of oil changes are with the machine. So anyway I feel pretty comfortable that the machine is OK. But also knowing that it could fall over dead after 30 minutes in my front yard! :) Want the mechanic to guide me through that a bit.

Now it needs to be accessorized a bit. Box scraper, flail, TNT, PHD, Ford F350, 4x4 ATV, home theater system, ipod, etc.

Thanks for letting me tag along for the last 3 years!

Martin

/ EBay L35 #7  
SLOBuds said:
.... but it is also true that it was a rental - 800 hours. He put on 200 more hours. Records of oil changes are with the machine. So anyway I feel pretty comfortable that the machine is OK. But also knowing that it could fall over dead after 30 minutes in my front yard! :) Want the mechanic to guide me through that a bit....
Rental companies usually do a great job on major maint. (e.g. fluid/filter changes etc.) but they can not control the minor maint while the equipment is out of their shop. FELs and BHs REQUIRE greasing every 10 hours (read DAILY in heavy use) to combat wear on the load bearing pins. And there are a lot of them :(

As others have suggested. Get your mechanic to pay close attention to the wear on the FEL & BH pins. Unless you are pretty good with a wrench, replacing the pins could get pricey.

Talon Dancer

/ EBay L35
MarkV said:
Make sure that the 3pt arms and related pieces are included with the tractor. Rental machines many times never have the backhoe removed so the 3pt equipment gets lost in the shuffle. A couple of people have had to replace these and they are very pricey.

MarkV

OK, here we go. The arms and pieces are in fact missing.

The seller gave me an eBay link which shows arms at $27 per side. I thought that was OK except that I would have to find the exact specifications for all of the pieces.

Suggestions on best direction to go here? Is aftermarket OK, or do you think I'm best off trying to get the Kubota branded equipment exactly and pay the price?

Thanks

/ EBay L35 #9  
SLOBuds said:
OK, here we go. The arms and pieces are in fact missing.

The seller gave me an eBay link which shows arms at $27 per side. I thought that was OK except that I would have to find the exact specifications for all of the pieces.

Suggestions on best direction to go here? Is aftermarket OK, or do you think I'm best off trying to get the Kubota branded equipment exactly and pay the price?

Thanks

You want genuine Kubota three point arms and top link; I don't think the generic arms would work, let alone take the stress. My arms for my L-35 are very HEAVY DUTY!! I would check with a Kubota Dealer before signing the bottom line and have the quoted price also. I think you are looking at several hundred dollars or maybe more for the three point kit? The three point arms came standard with the tractor and not an option. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a $1000 purchased separately through Kubota?

/ EBay L35 #10  
You'll like the L-35. I owned one for about 5 years and it was very handy. I outgrew it and sold it for what I paid for it! ($22,500). Mine had a Q/A FEL bucket with teeth and a Q/A 4 in 1 front bucket!! I also had 3 different size backhoe buckets.