Earth sheltered/bermed construction

/ Earth sheltered/bermed construction #1  

patrickg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4610HSTC
This post is a redirection of a current exchange to this more appropriate venue (thanks for sugestion, GlueGuy).

These first two paragraphs are a continuation of a response to Gary...

There are several earth sheltered and earth bermed homes north of Chickasha on US 8x (where x is a small whole number between 1..3 inclusive, memory fault... parity error, CRC detection). south of Pocasset. A "new" one is east of Minco a little ways on the south side of the road. I saw it under construction about 4 years ago or so. There is one on state hwy 102 on the east side of the road north a ways from Wanette (north of state hwy 39 a bit) I think it may have changed hands last year judging by moving vans when I drove by. It has a cupola/central atrium/gazebo/thingy for air and light on top of the midle of it. Haven't been rude (bold) enough to ask for a tour. Looks like it probably has "rooftop" access via that central architectural feature. A few years ago before buying my section/4 I toured several earth sheltered and bermed homes. Most were flawed to a significant degree by lack of proper engineering and architectural support. "GOOD" earth sheltered and earth bermed homes are not "rocket science" but are out of the experience envelope of many common concrete contractors and basement builders. To do it right requires a lot more consideration of engineering factors than most builders give or can give.
Just getting a good lasting and dry basement is not a trivial task around here. For some reason the years of successful experience and modernizing evolution evidenced in the northern midwest and northeast just doesn't difuse well in this direction. Not to say there aren't good builders or architects in the earth sheltered arena in Oklahoma, OSU is intergalactic headquarters with their nearest competition at University of Minnesota. A university professor of architecture and practicing architect at OU - GO SOONERS (would have to look up his name but he can be found on the web at the OU site) built an earth sheltered home a few years ago just down slope from a subdivision. The lawn watering at the subdivision subsided a short distance below the surface and then ran like an underground river right through his clients site. He did a terrific job in water proofing and ameliorating the effects of upslope irrigation. His success is attested to by his having won an award for his design work on this project.
Now a comment that is part of the ongoing exchange with GlueGuy: My wife and I visited for half a day at his home/office built in their methodology. He also has a garage/storage building on site built in the same manner but as it is unfinished inside it makes a good show and tell. He has evolved the "method" and has improved the tooling/forms quite a bit since having sold some forms to other builders in Texas and Illinois years ago (his father was in charge then). In my extensive search I had contacted both the TX and IL outfits. They each have their own twist, differing travel charges etc but If I go this way it will be with the son of the originator (KC, MO). My greatest dissapointment is that they don't do turn key or even rough finish.
You get the slab then a monolithic (sort of) wall and ceiling system with rough plumbing, electrical, and whatever you want in the walls for electronic connectivity etc. and that is about it. They do their part and split, leaving you with recommendations for water sealing, earth cover, finishing, etc. I would prefer having a single entity responsible to me for materials, workmanship, waranty for these, and so forth. I want that single entity not to be ME!
On the other hand there are outfits that give guaranties against leaks and will do a more complete job, including sealing. Unfortunately they are "flat worlders", i.e. they do flat ceilings, albeit of whatever reasonable height, but flat nevertheless. The Elipsoidally domed cathedral ceilings of the KC, MO builder atop straight walls seem to be an excellent blend of domed construction with the practicality of straight walls. I like it. I would already have started construction with them if they only did more than pour the shell and split.
At any rate whoever does the job will want water, electricity, and an all weather road to the site. So I can build a road with my Kubota, Rural water will be available within a few hundred yards and across a couple ponds in less than a year and electricity is only a few hundred yards away. In the interim I can get water to the site from my nearest frost free hydrant that is on my well (couple hundred yards) but this is for warmer weather as it would be surface hose/pipe. I can get electricity to the site without too much hassle. We have two electric utilities serving the area. Wires go down the hwy on both sides. My shop is on one and my mom's new house (500 ft away) is on the other. I have a preference for my site but it is a hundred feet in the other companies territory. I will try to negotiate a variance or put the meter on the line and run really huge buried cables to the site. Have to look up the cable size required for say 300 amp service with a run of 300 ft. May be cheaper to install a coal fired generating station.

And finally: Tech note: earth sheltered versus earth bermed

Earth sheltered has earth cover on top as well as some side walls. Earth bermed has earth cover on at least some walls but not on the roof. Earth bermed typically has traditional roof and gives some thermal benefit but not nearly as much as can be had in an earth sheltered design. Earth sheltered designs also offer vastly improved storm resistance. There are many examples of earth sheltered homes surviving tornados and hurricanes. Earth bermed would likely loose the roof to hurricane or tornado and suffer extensive water damage and risk injury or death for the occupants.

In closing (WHEW!) Two comments

1. My safe room will be my master suite in its entirety. I will not "go to shelter" or worry about storms at night. Just go to bed and not worry. The worst thing that would happen is the rest of the house would would need extensive rework but we would be fine and insurance would replace "things."

2. If anyone has an interest in earth sheltered (or bermed) architecture (or even passive solar) please comment in reply to this post. GlueGuy, I'm sure can help keep the thread flowing.

Patrick

/ Earth sheltered/bermed construction #2  
Patrick,

Thanks for reviving this.

So far, we have talked to one architect. In California, the earth bermed/earth sheltered concept has stalled completely. There doesn't seem to be much intertest in it. This particular architect designed and built his earth sheltered home 20+ years ago in Davis California. It's in the middle of a planned community near the university. Interesting concept. He built it almost entirely out of wood, and less than a foot of earth on top. Furthermore, the house is only 1000 square feet. Amazing testament to efficiency. He managed to raise 3 kids in this little place (one is still at home at ~~15 years old).

He advocates putting the minimum amount of earth on top, depending on local conditions. He beleives that you only need enough to get below the frost line for the local area. Any more than that is a waste because of the cost of the structure. (3 feet of earth gets a little more than 400# load per square foot).

He had one other earth sheltered design that he showed us out near Vacaville (Spanish for Cow-ville /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif). This design is a poured concrete design, but still only has 12" of earth on top. Same reasonaing. This home was built in the early 80's by a fellow that made his living as a contractor. Intersting design, in that the roof is clear-span of 20-some feet. He used 24" tall engineered trusses to support a wood (/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif) roof. They put a hypalon barrier on top of that, and it looks like it's worked well for nearly 20 years.

I like the method for Earth Sheltered Tech, but their "modular" approach may leave something to be desired architecturally. The way they operate, is they build all of the basic structure (shell, floor). They also cover the structure with 3 layers of sealing/insulation/dirt. In fact, they are the only ones that I've found (so far) that give a warranty against leaks. They do a monolithic pour of the walls and roof of each "module". The guy told me each module takes about a week. Modules are either 24' square or 28' square (inside dimensions). The roof is arched, and is either 13' or 14' high. That have allowances for openings, etc, on each wall of "X", depending on the opening type (window, door, passageway, etc.). I like the arched roof, as it distributes light very well.

The other builder that I've found is Davis Caves. They pour the wall, then put pre-stressed concrete beams across the roof. This results in a flat roof (lower profile), but has the disadvantage of not distributing the light, and makes sealing against leaks more of a challenge. I also think there may be an issue with how large a a span they can make. 24' looks like the max.

There are also some builders in Texas that do blown-up monolithic domes. I like the building method, but I'm not sure that I can "live" with the curved walls. I have a hard time wrapping my head around those....

Right now, I'm hoping that I can research this enough to come up with an architecture that can be shotcreted with local concrete guys. I'm happy to do be my own general contractor. The way I see it, none of the local guys know how to do this anyway, so why should I pay for their schooling?

Our site is basically "ready". We have power, road, water. In fact, our old home is still sitting on the flat. That presents a small problem of getting rid of the old place.

However, we will need to excavate however much earth we decide to put on top. I was going for 3', but after talking to this architect, I realize that our "frost line" is less than a foot. We may be able to save real money by lowering the earth cover to 18"-24" or so. Being here in the SF bay area, our frost line is probably on the order of a few inches at most (sometimes we don't even freeze to an inch).

My major motivation is to get under something substantial enough to deal with the winter winds we get here.

/ Earth sheltered/bermed construction #3  
Thank you PatrickG for the info. I apologize mis-spelling your name.

I'm am terrible with names, really sad tho when you can't even type one correct.

Gary

/ Earth sheltered/bermed construction #4  
Patrick (& anybody else listening),

I have a few pictures of the house near Vacaville. Would anyone like to see them?

/ Earth sheltered/bermed construction #5  
<font color=blue>pictures of the house near Vacaville. Would anyone like to see them? </font color=blue>

Heck, I drive through Vacaville on the way to my property every couple of weekends. I'd like to see 'em.
smile.gif

/ Earth sheltered/bermed construction #6  
Will do Harv. I think we're staying on topic here. I have about 11 pix of this place, plus a little diagram that shows pic positions. Stand by while I collect them into a collage...

/ Earth sheltered/bermed construction #7  
Thanks for the post Patrickg,
Earth insulated dwellings, now your speaking my language.

Some people build up bermed walls and then go on to cover the roof with earth as well. Of course you need a concrete roof. In Cooper-Pedy in South Australia people build dug-outs to escape the heat; they literaly just dig out a home.

There is an old Australian building technique called 'cob' which is basically mud mixed by hand and plastered up onto a frame of wire (or in the old days sticks). Its then whitewhashed to make it 'waterproof'. Its almost never used anymore but a lot of the houses they did build in the 1800's are still standing!

At present, I am toying with the idea of precast sections brought to the site by truck and assembled like a giant lego set.

/ Earth sheltered/bermed construction #8  
<font color=blue>Of course you need a concrete roof</font color=blue>

Not necessarily. The two places that we looked at last week both had wood roofs, and used a hypalon-impregnated fabric as a water barrier. Both places have been in-place for over 20 years without a leak.

It didn't give me a warm & fuzzy, considering the fact that both of them still required venting of the roof supports. However, it does show that it's possible to do an earth shelter without using concrete.

/ Earth sheltered/bermed construction #10  
Hey Glueguy,
I resemble that remark.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Vacaville is actually "Cow-town." I grew up there. Come to think of it, I am kind o glad to be "from" Vacaville verses still living there.

-Roger