Early report on the 2615

/ Early report on the 2615 #1  

Charlie_in_TX

Gold Member
I bought a 2615, FEL, MMM in February to replace a Ford 8n. It currently has 15 hours on it. I have used it to mow, clear brush, and pull fence post.

Mowing - outstanding. I had been using a John Deere 72 in mower behind the 8n. The MMM does a far better job. The HST is a huge step up from the gear tranny. I am always in the right gear. It mows much faster. It used to take as long as 4 hrs to mow. I mowed yesterday after work. It took a little over 1 hour. The only improvements I will make is taking off the FEL to mow. It is scarry having the tooth bar a inch from the bricks on my house. I have not removed the MMM yet. It looks like a fairly complicated procedure.

Clearing brush - outstanding. I went thru as much brush in 2 evenings with the FEL as I had in a couple of mounths with a chainsaw. I have built/installed a toothbar sence then and developed some skills, I will get faster. The only problem I have run into is the FEL loosening. My dealer told me to look out for it. It causes no problem if taken care of promply. The most obvious symptoms are
1. the hood/side panels move when the FEL is loaded.
2. The front wheel moves backwards when the FEL is loaded and forward when unloaded.
It took a couple of minutes with a torque wrench to put a hundred ft/pounds on 8 bolts. No more problems or perminant damage.

Fence post removal (general FEL performance) good. It pulled 30 or 40 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. It did it in less than a hour. I think the FEL (although rated at heavy for class, 1100lbs if I recall) could use more power. With my fat @$$ on the tractor it will just pick up the rear tires. I think it should pick up the rear tires if they were loaded with me on it. I think it should also require a weight box to keep the rear down. Obviously, Mahindras' lawyers (and every other manufactures) disagree.

So far I think I bought the right tractor for me.

/ Early report on the 2615 #2  
<font color="blue"> "The MMM does a far better job. The HST is a huge step up from the gear tranny. I am always in the right gear. It mows much faster. It used to take as long as 4 hrs to mow. I mowed yesterday after work. It took a little over 1 hour." </font>

Charlie_in_TX, that's a pretty radical improvement in time to complete the job. How much of that improvement would you attribute to the HST and how much of it would you attribute it to the MMM versus RMM?

/ Early report on the 2615
That is a radical impovement. My statement misslead you.
'as long as 4 hrs'
It did take 4 hrs from time to time to mow. It would usually take about 3. Still a great improvement but not what I lead you to believe.

I would have to guess over 50% of that time is from the HST, 25% from MMM and the rest from having a better tractor (ie live hydralics and PTO).

I have a large lawn (about 4 acres I mow weekly) with many different qualities/thichness of grass, not all places are smooth and there are many turns. The MMM is only better on the turns. With the 8n/RFM it was time consuming keeping the corners 'makeable'. With the MMM it is a piece of cake.With the varying thickness of grass I can be mowing at a speed equivenent to 3rd gear in the 8n and when I get to a little thicker grass go to the equivelent of 8n 2nd and finally the same with 8n 1st. With the 8n I would be stoping each time after the motor started to bog, reverce to the grass that wasn't properly cut, and back forward in the next lower gear. The HST is always in the right gear. When I first start to hear the motor load down I can start to slow down.

/ Early report on the 2615 #4  
Thanks for the reply. Even if you went from an average of three hours to one, that's still a great improvement.

Thanks also for explaining the difference in mowing experience between the two. I have never done any mowing myself, but after my wife and move at the end of the summer, I sure will be.