Early Leaf Drop

/ Early Leaf Drop #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
We are having an early drop of leaves. The wild cherry started last month and the poplar started early this month.
These trees are not drought stressed we have had plenty of rain.
Wondered if anybody else was having this and could it be an early fall.

/ Early Leaf Drop #2  
We get it every late summer here. I ignore it. same with the apples. Gives the squirrels something to eat.

/ Early Leaf Drop #3  
We are having an early drop of leaves. The wild cherry started last month and the poplar started early this month.
These trees are not drought stressed we have had plenty of rain.
Wondered if anybody else was having this and could it be an early fall.
As a Forester I note this stuff more. While leaves depending on your region will always start turning and dropping this time of year esp poplars and in this area hackberry. In SC she have had a dry month this last month but a good bit of rain through at least mid summer. The leaf drop and early color change on species that usually are not quite this early has caught my eye. I can't say for sure but it does seem a few weeks early this year to me.

/ Early Leaf Drop #4  
Are your apple trees loaded this year too?

/ Early Leaf Drop
   / Early Leaf Drop #6  
   / Early Leaf Drop #7  
Lots of apples here too. Unfortunately, anytime I noticed a tree loosing leaves really early, it was dying. Sad. Some of my favourite trees.

/ Early Leaf Drop #8  
………………..
Lot of apples here also great year for acorns.

Tons of acorns here in MA in our woods. Dropping like crazy the past two weeks or so. Lots of crab apple trees heavy scattered through the woods as well.

I've noticed some leaves turning, but I'm not quite sure why, temps have been generally mild/warm and lots of moisture...maybe too damp almost.

/ Early Leaf Drop #9  
Yes, our cherries and poplars are starting to drop leaves here this past week too. Just a very few sumac leaves starting to turn red along the roads too. My apples only did fair this year but our Kiefer pear tree had limbs touching the ground loaded with pears. This pear tree hasn't had this many pears in the 11 years we've had it, 2 heaping bushels. We've had a very wet year in our area.

/ Early Leaf Drop #10  
And now 9 degrees c overnight temps. Had only four tomatoes ripen on the vine this year. That might be it! One strawberry and one half eaten pea! A bumper harvest this year!