DX(TC)45 Running Hot

/ DX(TC)45 Running Hot
Got my IR thermometer today and put the tractor under load. Once again the needle stayed just under red and slightly higher than what I showed in the picture.

Quick question - where should I be getting my reading from? I'm assuming the engine block? If so, my engine temperature was 213 degrees off of the block. Doing normal loader work and driving the temperature read 170 degrees but seems to jump above 200 any time I'm remotely working the engine for any length of time.

jk

/ DX(TC)45 Running Hot #12  
Raise the hood and walk around to the left side. Find the alternator and look directly above it where the hose comes out and goes to the radiator. You will see the temperature sending unit in that location. Measure the temperature at the area around the temperature sending unit and you will be reading the same spot as the temperature gage. That will be the most accurate comparison.

BTW: Right above the temperature sending unit is a bulb that attaches to the hose going to the radiator. If you remove the two bolts and lift this bulb off, you will see the thermostat. A new thermostat might help also.

/ DX(TC)45 Running Hot
Thanks Jinman,

I've got the boxblade on so I'll drop the rippers tomorrow and give it a workout. At least I'll have some accurate readings to give the dealer if the thermostat doesn't take care of the issue.

JK

/ DX(TC)45 Running Hot #14  
Well, I didn't do a very good job of describing replacing the thermostat. You will have to drain some coolant to be sure it is below the level of the thermostat. That shouldn't be anymore than 1/2 gallon. You will also probably need a thermostat gasket in addition to a new thermostat. If you want, you can put the thermostat in a pan and bring the water to a boil. Use your new thermometer to monitor the water temperature. When it gets to 180 degrees, you should see the thermostat open. If it doesn't, you have a problem. Somewhere on the flange of the thermostat or the body, you should see the temperature stamped. It may be 190 instead of 180, but I doubt it.

/ DX(TC)45 Running Hot
Thanks Jinman,

re-checked the temp today at the sending unit on two occasions. My reading were 205 degrees and 208 degrees. I'm assuming I should be running around 180-190? I may just drop the tractor off at the dealer along with my readings and see what they say. It's still under warranty and I would have to make a trip there anyway for the thermostat.

jk

/ DX(TC)45 Running Hot #16  
I just looked at my Repair Manual General Information section to see what it says about the thermostat. It says the t-stat should start to open at 160 degrees and be fully open at 185 degrees. From that info, I think your tractor is running about 20 degrees too hot. I suspect it's a failing t-stat, but having your dealer look at it is a good choice. It's not getting so hot it will cause damage, but if it heats this hot, it's a symptom of a condition that will probably get worse with age. My tractor runs so cool I sometimes worry about that. I would expect your tractor to be the same and I'd feel a little worried if it was reading over 200 degrees.

/ DX(TC)45 Running Hot #17  
This is pretty sad, but a little funny. I went to the engine repair section of the Repair Manual and it says the t-stat starts to open at 176-183 degrees and is fully open by 203 degrees. I guess a different writer wrote that section than the General Info section. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

/ DX(TC)45 Running Hot
We'll,

I called the dealer and spoke to the tech. He took the time to pull the cooling info for my tractor and his manuals are showing a properly working cooling system will maintain a temperature range of 170-215 degrees under normal operating temperature with a warning and engine shutdown at 230 degrees. Not sure if I should worry about it or not now considering I'm technically in the "normal" range, although on the high end of it.

jk

/ DX(TC)45 Running Hot #19  
What makes your tractor "normal" is how it compares to other tractors of the same type. Next time I'm out working my tractor hard, I'll take some readings with my IR thermometer. I think your t-stat may be opening late or not all the way, but the only way to check that is to replace it. You could remove it, but then it would surely run much too cool. . .not good for a diesel.:(

/ DX(TC)45 Running Hot
Thanks Jim,

I appreciate your help.

Jeremy