Dust masks

/ Dust masks #1  

Anonymous Poster

Read a good deal on the posts concerning use of dusk masks. I try to use them all the time, whether mowing the lawn or the field.

One of the things I find is that some masks don't form a good seal. Example: I became a little congested after mowing the other day in the field. Lots of dust and cotton type seeds in the air-- I do have some sensitivies. Anyway, the mask I wore had a leak, no matter how much I adjusted it. I'm thinking I need to just buy a durable/non-disposable cartidge type mask that I can really cinch down for times when it's really nasty. This way, I can switch to organic vapor cartridges if pesticides or other chemicals are present. Any mask preferences? What brands and models.

Tracy

/ Dust masks #2  
Make sure you buy a brand that also has refills readily available.

/ Dust masks #3  
I agree with you about buying a cartridge type mask. You will find many uses for it besides mowing. Be sure to purchase extra cartridges and don't use beyond the recommended time.
PJ

/ Dust masks #4  
I've had an 6000 series masks which means I can swap cartridges between them. I went with the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://products.3m.com/usenglish/safety/ohes.jhtml?powurl=GS4513PQ26gs5SDD44F7DZgeGST1T4S9TCgv4PV4LH4X9KglGS9RG3KCG1bl>60926 Muliti-gas and vapor</A> cartridges (which are also P100 particulate filters) simply because they block the most "stuff." (e.g. not always changing cartridges.)

Strangely, I've found that the full face mask is more comfortable than the half face mask (other than the weight, that is.) I actually use it more often than the half face mask for just that reason (of course, the nice thing is that it protects your eyes too - not just from flying metal dust, but some of those less-than-healthy vapors you might have when working around chemicals & such.) Not sure I'd wear a full mask on a tractor all day though, the half mask would be a lot easier on the neck (weight) even though your eyes may still be a bit irritated if you're allergic to grass/mold/etc. ('Course if you are sparying pesticides & such, that's a whole different ball of wax - the full face would be the way to go.)

I had put some links to some stores in the other thread that had the best prices I could find, but that was just my search - you might find someone else on the web selling them for a better price.

Whatever brand you choose, I think your lungs, sinuses, & eyes will be a lot happier - I know mine sure are! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Dust masks #5  
Good idea! I have used these half-face dual cartridge respirators for years. As to what size and model, you will need to try them on if possible. The important issue is fit! All of our faces are a little different and some brands fit each of us differently.

My second problem, since I live in a small town is once I settle on a brand, I usually try to buy at least one set of extra cartridges, because the brand usually is not available when I go back a year or two later. It also helps if you get extra prefilters. They are small cotton type filters that fit on the outside of the cartridges. They tend to pick up most of the pollen and dust. They are easier and cheaper to replace than the cartridges.

Good luck!

/ Dust masks #6  
Tracy, I had the same problem with dust masks not sealing. I got a handfull of surgical masks from my dentist. Boy do they work great while mowing the yard, mowed all day in severe dust conditions, got done and blew my nose no mud or dirt. The seal reel good and are comfy. Being a firefighter you most likely have contact with ambulances and parmedics, you could prob mooch one to try them out

/ Dust masks #7  
What do I do about all this hair on my face /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. Really, is there an option besides a full face mask or shaving. My wife has never seen me without my beard (30 years now) and says shaving is NOT an option - she says she has seen the before-beard pictures and that is enough for her /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Ideas/suggestions.

Bob

/ Dust masks #8  
Soap up the areas where the beard contacts the mask. It may help.
Otherwise find a good fitting mask and cinch it up real tight.You'll find it works.
The beard thing comes mostly from SCBA used in a hazardous gas environment taken to extremes by members of companies safety departments. In some places they will not allow anyone wearing a beard into the plant area.

There is another solution but don't think it advisable to go there.

Egon

/ Dust masks
I hear you on the issue of sealing dust masks. We've been remodeling a 102-year old farmhouse for about a year now and we use cartons of the 3M dust masks. The single tiny elastic strap is insufficient to really get a good seal, so it only filters out the "big chunks" so to speak. I do have some masks here that have two larger, heavier straps and those seal as good as the surgical masks that were described. What would be ideal is have a nice well-fitted, good filtering mask and have the inexpensive 3M mask over the top of that to keep the good mask clean. The problem is that as the friction losses increase with the addition of layers of filtration material, the tendency to suck dirty air around the edges also increases. WHEN I THINK of how many thousands of hours I spent on tractors with no mask.........in heavy dust.....I have to wonder why I am still healthy.

/ Dust masks
Thanks alot for the info, guys. I'm definitely going to use the pre-filtered masks.

Tracy