DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains

/ DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
I just ordered a set of studded Duo-Grip chains for my rear tires (15-19.5 R4 style) over the holidays. I had been using studded 4-link ladder style for the past 10+ years, and wanted to upgrade to something with better lateral traction in the woods. The Duo-Grip chains certainly do have better lateral traction, which is great on side hills or in rough terrain. The problem is that the ride is incredibly rough when driving on hard surfaces (dirt roads, paved roads, bare frozen ground). I'm not sure what is going to shake apart first, the tractor or me. Since I regularly need to drive 3+miles on back roads from one property to another, and dread having to slow to "in the woods speed" while doing this, I'm looking for a better solution. (I'd like to stick with studded chains, because in addition to my work in the woods, I need to get up and down my driveway in the winter. The east facing hill is often icy and slicker than a luge run.)

I could buy some cross links, to add in between each duo-grip pattern, converting them to a combination ladder/duo-grip style (I'd also need to bu the tool for adding these). This supposedly smooths out the ride a bit, but I'm wondering if it will be enough. Perhaps the studded Diamond style chains would be better for my use. I'm sure I could find a buyer for my Duo-Grips chains.

So my questions:
  1. Is the ride with the Diamond patter chains significantly smoother than the DuoGrips? (hopefully as good as my old 4-link V-bar ladder chains)
  2. How does the traction compare between the DuoGrip V-bars and the Diamond pattern studded? (both forward an side-to-side)
  3. Is the ease of installation of the Diamond pattern chains similar to that of the DuoGrips?

Is there anyone who can give me a ride and traction comparison of 4-link ladder style vs. Diamond pattern (or between duo-grip and diamond pattern)?

Should I be considering other styles? Cost is a consideration, but I also want to get this right this time.

/ DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains #2  
Do you have wheel spacers? I also have a TC33 and it doesn't look like there is enough clearance for chains. I didn't want to buy chains and then find out I need spacers. They are kind of pricey. I have been getting by with my R4s snowplowing, but sure would like to have chains.

/ DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains #3  
I have duo-grip with v-bars and don't notice a stiff ride. I also have them on AG tires. I tried to increase the grip of the chains by tightening up the pattern of the chains but I don't know that I succeeded. I run the Tyrgg style chains on the rear and they are great! Basically 4 loops of chain running around the circumference of the tire with cross chains holding it all together. Each link on the center loops has two studs on them. I pulled a triaxle out of my driveway on the ice two weeks ago with no problem! :thumbsup:

/ DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains #4  
This was over in the Tire section of this forum. You guys must have got them about the same time!
Is there Anything to do to help the rough ride from Duo Grip Chains???

Is there Anything to do to help the rough ride from Duo Grip Chains???

Can't speak to diamond pattern on a tractor but I have them for my 4wd Chevy with big camper. The diamonds keep chain in contact with the ground at all times so it's not too rough- under 30-35mph.

/ DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains #5  
If you go to square or diamond you will always have chain on the ground so it greatly smooths out the ride. With these i generally don't notice a big difference in ride quality from a bare tire.
20170105_183305.jpg20170107_141052.jpg

/ DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains
Do you have wheel spacers? I also have a TC33 and it doesn't look like there is enough clearance for chains. I didn't want to buy chains and then find out I need spacers. They are kind of pricey. I have been getting by with my R4s snowplowing, but sure would like to have chains.

I had the V-bar ladder style chains on the rear wheels of my stock 2001 TC33D every winter for 13 years (it took me a couple of years to get around to buying them after I got the tractor). I have the 15 - 19.5 R4 Tires. No problems with clearance. The Duo-Grip chains fit fine as well, I just don't like the ride on pavement, hard-packed dirt roads, or bare frozen ground.

/ DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains
I have duo-grip with v-bars and don't notice a stiff ride. I also have them on AG tires. I tried to increase the grip of the chains by tightening up the pattern of the chains but I don't know that I succeeded. I run the Tyrgg style chains on the rear and they are great! Basically 4 loops of chain running around the circumference of the tire with cross chains holding it all together. Each link on the center loops has two studs on them. I pulled a triaxle out of my driveway on the ice two weeks ago with no problem! :thumbsup:

You mention that you run Duo Grip chains, but then say that you are running Trygg style. Which is it? they are not the same thing. From the look of them, the Trygg style would be much smoother, I'm just not sure I wan tto pay $1200 for a set of chains (I haven't really shopped around yet, but that first price I found shocked me).

I'm now running Duo Grip chains on the rear tires, which are 15 - 19.5 R4 Tires. The tires are filled, which also may have some bearing on the ride, since there is not as much flex in a filled tire.

Here's the link to where I've been shopping, with photos of different types: Tirechains.com, 15-19.5 tires I had 4-link V-bar Ladder style, now have V-Bar Duo Grip. Considering selling them (brand new) and getting studded Diamond Pattern. The diamond pattern looks as though it might be a bit more of a pain to get on (more places to clip), but I only have to do it once a year

Duo Grip vs Studded Diamond
duo-v-bar.jpg studded-diamond.JPG

/ DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains #8  
If you go to square or diamond you will always have chain on the ground so it greatly smooths out the ride. With these i generally don't notice a big difference in ride quality from a bare tire.
View attachment 494945View attachment 494946

I wonder how safe they are on a front 4WD Axle, mainly for lateral grip while plowing on hard snow & ice?

/ DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains #9  
You mention that you run Duo Grip chains, but then say that you are running Trygg style. Which is it? they are not the same thing. From the look of them, the Trygg style would be much smoother, I'm just not sure I wan tto pay $1200 for a set of chains (I haven't really shopped around yet, but that first price I found shocked me).

I'm now running Duo Grip chains on the rear tires, which are 15 - 19.5 R4 Tires. The tires are filled, which also may have some bearing on the ride, since there is not as much flex in a filled tire.

Here's the link to where I've been shopping, with photos of different types: Tirechains.com, 15-19.5 tires I had 4-link V-bar Ladder style, now have V-Bar Duo Grip. Considering selling them (brand new) and getting studded Diamond Pattern. The diamond pattern looks as though it might be a bit more of a pain to get on (more places to clip), but I only have to do it once a year

Duo Grip vs Studded Diamond
View attachment 494975 View attachment 494976

chains.jpg

:confused3: :D

/ DuoGrip vs diamond pattern chains #10  
I use Trygg SMT studded chains on the rear R4 tires on my M7040 which are 16.9 x 28.

The chains are advertised as made to fit i.e. no cutting or addling links just put them on and go.

The joint in the chain is where the roughness in ride comes from. See red circle.

1pfs6b.jpg

Below is an e-mail exchange with Trygg company owner

Sorry to hear you're not satisfied. Did you check the tire vs the spec from , Tire and Rim organization? Tire manufacturers are notoriously making up their own. Our chain will of course have to cover the largest tire within the spec and thus, may seem a little long on the smallest tires.
He
Alf-Arne

Den 6. nov. 2015 kl. 19.37 skrev David Petepiece <david.petepiece@sympatico.ca>:
I purchased a set of TRYGG chains from my local Kubota dealer which came from your company’s Canadian distributor WALCO.
The chains details are:
TRYGG SMT 95
16.9-28
9.5mm

The chains are being installed on new R4 tires.
Your (TRYGG’s) web site says: “Unlike the TRYGG SMT Flexi these chains are made to fit unique tire sizes and no extra adjustments should be necessary on new tires.”

I am starting to install the chains and am finding them a too long.
The side chains have 7 extra links and the studded diamonds do not meet properly on the tire.
Do I have the right size for R4 tires?

I think to install any complex chain you need to invest in the special tool that is like a jack in reverse as shown in the photo.

29zt0zo.jpg

This youtube video is well worth watching. I wish I had seen it before installing my chains in two different winters. Next winter I will have one!

TRYGG SMT tire chains installation - YouTube

I dont want to leave you with the impression I am not satisfied. They are without a doubt the best chains I ever owned. The material is so tough 3 foot bolt cutters wont make a mark in them.

I drive them at top revs in low range 4th gear while blowing snow on pavement, ice or frozen dirt. I drive them down the road to my two brother's homes. Sometimes I will switch to high range to go a little faster if I am in a hurry.

My blower is an inverted or pull type so I am going forward while blowing.

They dont damage the asphalt.

Dave M7040