dump truck/tow veichal

/ dump truck/tow veichal #2  
I have had the same desire - get an older dump truck to pull the tractor, but I haven't done anything about it yet. It's pretty hard to beat $2,500, but you could end up spending a lot of money if the drive train is not up to the work.

/ dump truck/tow veichal #3  
I always get worried when I see an ad that says "yard truck" or "farm truck". That typically means there is no way it's gonna pass inspection. What are you looking to tow? You might get a better deal on a 1 ton dump. I got my 94 F-350 Diesel 4x4 Dump truck with 55,000 miles and a 9ft plow for $6k. I dont know the exact tow capacity, but I bet it's around 5-6 tons. You just gotta keep looking. :cool:

/ dump truck/tow veichal
all i need to tow right now is about 8-9K (including trailer). but Im the kind of person that waits for the right deal to come along to get something that COULD do more if i ever needed it to.

The idea of getting a call from a buddy with a 20K dual axle dual wheel deck over pintal hitch trailer wanting to know if i want a free _________ if i can remove it.... is always a possiblity i wouldnt want to pass up ;)

really your setup of a dually pickup/dump is plenty. My only issue for those is by the time they are >$3500 they were beat to death by there previous owners and its only a LT truck.

the above is not a LT truck and therefore (im my mind) would survive better durring its 30 years of service.

/ dump truck/tow veichal #5  
It's a long time ago now, but I had a 1975 F750 that looked just like that one. It was 361 5-spd,with 18,500 lb. 2-spd rear axle, 9,000 lb. front axle and air brakes. I towed a 9-ton triaxle trailer with electric brakes hauling either a backhoe/loader or a dozer; each weighed around 6 tons. Sometimes I also had 7 or 8 tons of stone in the dump box at the same time. The truck worked great and was very stable with this trailer setup, but -ohhh- was it hard on gas (anywhere fom 3 to 7 mpg - that's imperial gallons).:eek: It was also a lot newer then than this one is now. If everything is not right up to snuff on this one, it could be a real money pit.

/ dump truck/tow veichal #6  
I think you are going to run into the old "you need a cdl problem" with that truck and a trailer attached.
Brian

/ dump truck/tow veichal #7  
My neighbor has one just like it. His is red and black but mostly rust. He gave $2500 years ago and it came from the city. It had been used as a pot hole truck. It has 2 tail gates, one has a small shoot to allow the hot mix out to fill pot holes. I get to use it all I want, the trade is I do the wrench'n. The front brakes cost nearly $2000 in parts. Lesson is these trucks cost major dime when it comes time to fix it. The other thing is it will get stuck easier than anything I have ever seen. I guess that is true with all 2 wheel drive dually trucks.

His has the high low rear end but even empty will only run 50-55mph and only gets about 5 mpg. The good thing is we live 1.5 miles from a gravel pit.

Chris

/ dump truck/tow veichal #8  
schmism said:
1977 Ford F-800 Dump Truck Single Axle

what do you think? Ive been looking for a "beater" truck to tow with. seems this might serve as a tow vehical and be an added plus of a dump truck....

I think you will need to get your CDL, have a physical yearly, pee test for drugs quarterly, get commercial insurance (about 5k a year for a dump truck at a guess), need USDOT numbers, yearly DOT inspections, need to book your drive hours, maintenance logs, need interstate authority if you cross the big muddy, track fuel use by state, pay road tax, stop at every weigh station, get pulled over by every highway patrol officer and on and on and on. Cheapest thing is buying the truck. Getting it on the road and plated will cost an arm and a leg.

I think you are about to walk into your worst nightmare. But, that's just me. Go for it and let us know how it turn out!

jb

/ dump truck/tow veichal #9  
Check your local laws. Here in Indiana if its under 26K you do not need a cdl. We just put farm plates on it. One tough thing is getting the insurance though.

Chris

/ dump truck/tow veichal #10  
When I was looking at dump trucks, I was shocked at how much they were going for, and how bad of condition they were in!!! Even more shocking was how hard it was to find them.

After looking for awhile, missing out on some deals, and walking away from allot of others, I bought a 1983 F-600 dump truck with a 370 big block gas engine for $3,500.

If you do a search on posts that I've started and includ Dump Truck, you'll see some of the issues I've run into. I've probably put another $2,000 into it, but the headache factor has been huge. It's not street legal and I doubt it ever will be. Mostly I just need to get the lights to work and register it, but there's no real need for me, plus I don't want to deal with insurance.

My latest issue with mine is the bed isn't flat and it holds dirt. If my clay is wet at all, it will build up with each load. I then have to scrape it with a shovel to get it clean again and go through the process all over again. From reading posts on the Heavy Equipment Forums, this is fairly common in older dump trucks. Both single and double axle. I've orderd some special, slipery paint, that I'm hoping will help the problem. WHen it gets here, I'll start a thread on it and how it performs.

I've broken the lift on my dump bed twice. Old age, lack of maintenance and probably a bad design all add up to the problem. I'm afraid it will happen again, but don't know when. Removing the parts and fixing it was a TRUE nightmare. Doing it the second time was almost over the top for me.

I've had the cylinder come apart on me too. What will you do if you have a full load of dirt and no way to dump it? Even with my backhoe, there's allot of shoveling involved.

New brakes, leaky rear axle seals, new clutch, rebuit the engine and now the wipers don't work. They are nice for clearing the dust off the windshield, so I've got to figure that one out.

Tires go flat all the time and mine are split rims. They charge extra for that feature!!!

If you drive it on the road and it's "Capable" or "Rated" to haul a load combined with the vehicles weight, that exceeds 26,000 pounds, you need a CDL. It doesn't matter that you will never reach that amount, it's all in the ratings. Mine is rated at 24,000 pounds, so I'm good. I would bet that the F-800 would be able to haul allot more then mine.

Good luck, the price is right and you'll never lose money on it. I'm worried that it's too cheap and there's a hidden problem that you will find after you own it. If you can fix it yourself, then you should do fine as they sell for allot more in good condition.

Eddie