Dumbest mistake EVER!

/ Dumbest mistake EVER! #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
I can now lay claim to the dumbest mistake yet in my long list of "notable" acomplishments... I friggin just bought a Cat II plow for a Cat I tractor... NICE HUH?

I went to look at this nice 3 bottom - but when the guy said he didn't have a loader or skid steer to help get it loaded in the pickup - my mind went from looking at the plow to determining how to get this thing loaded (my strong problem solver mentality)... and I completly missed the bigger pins and holes... Instead I made sure all the sheer pins were good - the tips and boards were in good shape, no obvious welds or reparis... everything checked out on this plow EXCEPT for the friggin configuration.

So - I have this nifty new IH plow in the back of my truck... ready to go to a new home...

I really - really can't believe I did that... for all they years around farms and farming implements I really, REALLY can't believe I just did this.

And I'm sharing because I know the abuse will make me feel better... I think I'm losing my mind or something... I have no clue how I missed this "small" detail...

/ Dumbest mistake EVER! #2  
Not a mistake. Just good planning for a new tractor with cat 2 arms. I wish I had such power of forethought. My mistakes are usually triple dumb.

/ Dumbest mistake EVER! #3  
is it possible to change the pins over to cat 1? I just bought some from ag supply that are threaded with a huge nut on them, And they have a reducer sleeve for the top link.

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=11958

I cant find the lower pins but they have them and cheap.

/ Dumbest mistake EVER! #4  
I have no clue how I missed this "small" detail...

Seems perfectly normal to me. You know I recently bought a new Sig Sauer 9mm pistol. After a couple of weeks of visiting gun dealers, searching and reading on the Internet, talking to some folks I think are experts, I finally decided exactly what I wanted and called the dealer. He said he had it in stock, I said I'd be on my way to get it, he said he wasn't going to be there, but his wife could handle everything, that he'd tell her I was coming, and she'd have everything ready. She did. I did open the case to be sure there were 3 magazines in it, but didn't do anymore checking; the gun looked good. At home that night, I started to fill out the warranty card, and lo and behold, I had a .357 Sig instead of 9mm.:eek::eek: Yep, I had overlooked that "small" detail. It turned out the dealer didn't have a 9mm in stock, but at least I was able to swap with him a week later, so it only cost me a week's delay and an extra trip.:rolleyes:

/ Dumbest mistake EVER! #5  
I think you can just change the pins, TSC usually has the conversion stuff.

/ Dumbest mistake EVER!
I think you can just change the pins, TSC usually has the conversion stuff.

Negative on the pin change (beside the top link holes are bigger too) but this plow design is a solid metal shaft about 2" in diameter with offset tapers on the end that neck down to the cat 2 pins.

The only option would be to pull the shaft and see what it would cost for a machine shop to make up a cat 1 sized version... and then screw around with the holes for the top link...

/ Dumbest mistake EVER! #7  
Check to see if you can get cat2 lower arms for the tractor, a cat2 top link should be easy to put together,cat2 on one end cat1 on other end, might have to use a torch and welder. scrapironford

/ Dumbest mistake EVER! #8  
I have seen dumber things done, years ago my dad and I decided to buy a small dozer. We didn't know much about them but found a used one we liked okay, talked to the dealer who looked it up as a Deere 350 and gave us a price which we haggled over and finally bought. About two weeks later I figured out it was a 450 model which is about twice the size and price. Wonder how long this salesman lasted there?

Steve

/ Dumbest mistake EVER! #9  
Just buy a quick hitch... They generally use bushings to make cat 1 items into cat 2 size.

May have to modify the top to accept quick hitch, but hey you can make it work.