Tire Selection Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation?

/ Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I am purchasing a 500hr JD 5100e primarily for building of an 80ac horse farm in Northern KY.

I grew up on a 4020 and we intermittently added duals to the back primarily during ground work in spring and only on the left while plowing. Grandpa always said 'Traction > HP'

Fast forward 30+ years, and I've not been on a tractor those years, and a lot has changed. But the basics remain, if you can't get the HP to the ground, you aren't doing what you can do.

My question is whether, given my needs, for road building, ground work, and mowing, would a set of duals be a useful benefit? After everything is completed, I don't suspect they will be on much at all, and now that I think of it, they might only really be useful in pulling a 5yd pull scraper during road construction and initial drilling of grass seed. I don't think I would need them during typical mowing and they would be in the way for normal 'farm' utility. There will be no 'row cropping' and I doubt there will be any 'haying' although we might do so at some point.

But... would they be worth the investment for the building of the farm? What is a typical cost for a set of duals for a 5100e? I don't want to waste money, but then again, I don't want to waste time and money trying to do something without proper traction.

/ Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation? #2  
No I don't think they will be worthwhile for your uses they are mostly benificial in a high tillage/high production application like row cropping. You'll be fine just loading rears for what you wanting to do especially with it being 4WD

/ Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation? #3  
Couldn't you buy a set later if you need them?

/ Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation? #4  
Duals are more suited for flotation than traction , tillage in the spring . I would guess setting up duals is going to be expensive . And they will be in the way most of the time .

/ Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation? #5  
I don't think they will be worth it. Remember, that old 4020 is 2wd. I have one sitting in my parking lot right now and its a great tractor, but if I was given the choice, I'd take a smaller 4wd tractor for questionable soil conditions.

/ Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation?
That helps guys.

I really didn't think I would need them, but old habits die hard... even if they are 30 years old.

I appreciate your help.

/ Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation? #7  
Duals are great for added traction and ride comfort. Doing heavy ground engagement the duals would help even with front wheel assist. Deere like everyone is making everything lighter so you can't tie the power to the ground. They are also putting on smaller diameter tires so they pull less and ride rougher and hold less fluid for ballast.

Can't comment on what a set of duals cost these days.

/ Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation? #8  
Put water in your tires and if fwd you should be fine.

/ Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation? #9  
Put water in your tires and if fwd you should be fine.

If you go cheap and want to use water, make sure you add something to keep it from freezing. I prefer beet juice/rimguard for my tire ballast.

/ Duals for JD 5100e ??? Is there enough benefit in my situation? #10  
My dealer quoted me $5200 for duals on my 5093 JD . I have not purchased them, I just put a set on my 3046 and it floats well over the wet ground for mowing woods trails, they cost about $3,000 and the wheels and adapters were made from a wheel/tire company,not JD. My guess is about 3 psi ground pressure. It floats better than the CTL JD 333D at 5 psi.