Driving habits of rural folk

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Driving habits of rural folk #1  

strantor

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H
I grew up in the country and that's where I learned how to drive. I drove predictably like a teenage male, and everyone on the road was too slow for me. Then I went off to the military, city driving in places across the country and the world. After I got out I lived in the city for about 7 years and then moved back to the country.

Everyone here still drives too slow for me.

...correction... 1 in 10 drives too slow, and therefore everyone on the road for half a mile behind them must also drive too slow.

My elders repeatedly told me (and nearly had me convinced) that as I got older I would outgrow the "need for speed." I think I'm old enough now (34) that if that were true, it would have happened already.

I commute 45 miles every morning and 45 miles back every evening, to my job in the city. If I leave at 4am before anyone is on the road, I can make the drive in 45 minutes. If I wait until 7, it takes an hour and a half or more, and this is NOT because of traffic in the city; at least not in the greatest part. It's mostly because someone out here in my rural community drives like they have no destination, no expected ETA, no purpose in life, or some combination thereof. Or maybe they're hobbyist highway safety vigilantes with nothing better to do after they wake up, than to get out on the two-lane blacktop and enforce their own arbitrary speed limit.

They don't merely drive 55 in a 60 zone; no, they drive 50, then 60, then 50, then 60, then 50. The next few cars behind them slow down to maybe 45, then speed up to maybe 65 to catch up. This oscillation is amplified more and more the longer their line of rolling captives grows. In the case of a half mile parade, the people at the end of the line are likely coming to a complete stop, followed by a gas-guzzling acceleration to 80mph, followed by a dangerous rapid deceleration to zero again.

Why? What is it about living in the country that leads to lethargic driving? Is this a side effect of spending more time in the seat of a tractor than in the seat of a passenger vehicle? Will this happen to me if I stay until I retire?

/ Driving habits of rural folk #4  
Why? What is it about living in the country that leads to lethargic driving?

The real problem is people in a hurry moving into rural areas.

:D

Bruce

/ Driving habits of rural folk #5  
Couldn’t agree more with your sentiments strantor. I live about 10 miles out of town, and it is a rare day when I can get up to the posted speed on the 2 lane state highway. Constantly stuck in a parade of cars behind some driver with no where to go, and all day to get there.

I don’t want to speed, I just want to get up to the posted speed.
Don’t even get me started on the drivers that turn into driveways so slow they bring traffic behind them to a near stop, they act like they are On the edge of a steep cliff.

/ Driving habits of rural folk #6  
Maintaining a constant speed is wise, but not always possible. There can be vehicle issues involved when climbing or descending hills for example.

Driving 50MPH in a 55MPH zone is legal Driving as little as 40MPH in a 55MPH zone is usually legal (often as much as 15MPH below the posted speed). Driving 60MPH (or more) in a 55MPH zone is never legal (except possibly when passing).

I suggest you slow down, leave earlier, or move closer to your job.

Oddly enough, I read this thread just after I drew up a map to submit to our county government requesting a 25MPH speed zone on a portion of our road.

/ Driving habits of rural folk #7  
The short and concise answer to why people in the country don't drive like they are headed to a fire is "they learned to stop and smell the roses".
NOW,as to why you incounter so many stupid drivers. :rotfl::hyper::laughing: Those are city kittys like yourself behind the wheels. Brazoria County is not country by any stretch of the imagination. To the contrary,it's a suburb of Houston, the worst city in Texas when it come's to reckless driving.

/ Driving habits of rural folk
The short and concise answer to why people in the country don't drive like they are headed to a fire is "they learned to stop and smell the roses".
NOW,as to why you incounter so many stupid drivers. :rotfl::hyper::laughing: Those are city kittys like yourself behind the wheels. Brazoria County is not country by any stretch of the imagination. To the contrary,it's a suburb of Houston, the worst city in Texas when it come's to reckless driving.

Have you ever been to Brazoria county? It's no "suburb" of anything. Yeah, it's near Houston, but in the way that only a Texan would describe something as "near." There is hardly anything out here where I live. Flat, boring farm land; rice fields mostly. No roses to stop and smell. Flat, straight roads so long that all depth perception goes out the window. At night you can watch a traffic light at an intersection turn red 3 times before you get to it, driving 60mph. Sometimes if deep in thought during my commute I'll "snap out of it" and have nothing to reference to tell me how close I am to work or if I missed a turn; everything looks the same.

What qualifies as "the country" for you?

I won't argue about Houston drivers though. They are an energetic lot. I drive through half of Houston twice per day and it's quite the experience. Something that I find very striking though, is every time I have to travel to Dallas for work. They don't drive as fast there. Through most of the city in rush hour they are "smelling the roses." I think they are just so resigned to everyone else driving like they have helium in their foot, that they don't even try. And they have WAY more accidents. I start seeing the accidents before I get into the city. And then I'll see 3 or 4 within a span of a few miles. They don't have those accidents in Houston. I might see one per week on average.

Maintaining a constant speed is wise, but not always possible. There can be vehicle issues involved when climbing or descending hills for example.

Driving 50MPH in a 55MPH zone is legal Driving as little as 40MPH in a 55MPH zone is usually legal (often as much as 15MPH below the posted speed). Driving 60MPH (or more) in a 55MPH zone is never legal (except possibly when passing).

I suggest you slow down, leave earlier, or move closer to your job.

Oddly enough, I read this thread just after I drew up a map to submit to our county government requesting a 25MPH speed zone on a portion of our road.

I realize that it's legal to go below the speed limit, just as it's legal to do many things that are wholly inconsiderate of every other person in a given community. There are some folks out here that are slow, know that they're slow, and are considerate; they'll move over to the shoulder first chance they get, and let people pass. I appreciate and applaud that. What I can't fathom though, is someone who will knowingly (and how could they not know?) Bottleneck the only thoroughfare that anyone has to get home, for a whole 20 or 30 miles, with their lackadaisical antics.

I'm following your advice:
Slow down - because I have no choice in the matter
Leave earlier- because that's only option I have for a reasonable commute.
I will not move closer to work though. I lived close to work and moved out here because I couldn't stand the city. I may complain about the drivers out here but that's about all I have to complain about. I will put up with this for the rest of my life to be free of the city, but I would still like to see the situation improve.

Couldn’t agree more with your sentiments strantor. I live about 10 miles out of town, and it is a rare day when I can get up to the posted speed on the 2 lane state highway. Constantly stuck in a parade of cars behind some driver with no where to go, and all day to get there.

I don’t want to speed, I just want to get up to the posted speed.
Don’t even get me started on the drivers that turn into driveways so slow they bring traffic behind them to a near stop, they act like they are On the edge of a steep cliff.

Thanks for the validation. Glad to know I'm not alone in this. Just curious; have you always lived in a rural area?

Status
Not open for further replies.