Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket

/ Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Just got a dump trailer and discovered this little trick to getting a bucket full. I'm getting used to the little tractor's limitations, one of which is the light weight, it doesn't have enough traction to push the bucket into a pile to fill the bucket. Maybe garden mix though. But anyway this works well.

You set the bucket beyond the tailgate then float the front wheels over the tailgate. Probably helps a little having 450 lbs counterweight, but the trailer can hold 8,000 lbs, I can't imagine half of a 2600 lb tractor bothering it in the slightest.

545009d1521659155-drive-tractor-up-into-dump-tractor_climbing_trailer-jpg

Springtime in the Pacific Northwest is good tractoring! Happy spring to you all.

Attachments

• tractor_climbing_trailer.jpg
    tractor_climbing_trailer.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 931
   / Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket #2  
two thoughts.. trailer is rated at 8K but it is intended in the lowered position spread across the whole area of bottom.. it can also lift probably close to that but between the F-150 getting bounced around and potential side loading on the ram couldn't you just dump into the bucket in the first place or tailgate spread it and just smooth it out?? thats what I do with gravel.. tail gate spread it then smooth it with the box scraper.. I have a 14K trailer but wouldn't want to test chaining my 10K tractor and see if it can lift it to top lift to see if it can..

/ Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket
True, but most of the tractor weight remains on its rear wheels, on the ground.

And when the front-loader dumps a yard of rock right in the middle, there's ALSO impact and it's not really spread out.
The tractor can't be much weight especially with the counterweight behind the rear wheels.
Anyway I unloaded the whole 2 yds like this and no problems came up, so I think its good.
My trailer can handle my tractor. YMMV. But I think your 14k trailer can handle some fraction of your 10k tractor (30% ? ) in a steep wheelie, especially of you have a counterweight. But maybe you don't have a use for this method (yet) :D .

Many many uses for this. I can dump a bucket load right where my wife wants it,
and leave the rest of the load in the trailer until it's time to make a pile.

For this task I had to fill the bucket and travel pretty far, so I wanted the bucket absolutely full as possible.
I was even compacting it with my feet and shoveling more in, it would take maybe 25% more like that.

It was satisfying to scoop it clean off the smooth trailer surface.

545016d1521664526-drive-tractor-up-into-dump-ready_for_seed-jpg

This "road' is about 6 feet wide.
Nothin' quite like a nice morning steamer! :D
I will seed it today (and mow it someday).

Attachments

• ready_for_seed.jpg
    ready_for_seed.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 748
   / Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket #4  
I load my L3800 on a dovetail equipment trailer without ramps. It's probably a foot off the ground. I lift the front up with the loader and ease them back down when unloading. The back tires will cross that no problem. I really don't see any problem with your unloading strategy.

/ Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket #5  
I haul a lot of loos material and firewood on my steel decked car hauler trailer. I have a little articulated loader that I drive right up onto the trailer and scoop it out.

I'm kind of wondering about why your tractor won't push into a pile of material with the loader bucket?

Do you have a tooth bar on your bucket?

/ Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket #6  
I haul a lot of loos material and firewood on my steel decked car hauler trailer. I have a little articulated loader that I drive right up onto the trailer and scoop it out.

I'm kind of wondering about why your tractor won't push into a pile of material with the loader bucket?

Do you have a tooth bar on your bucket?

I find that my tractor's don't have the muscle to get a full bucket full from a hard packed pile. I put the bucket cutting edge curled way down on the top of the pile and back up to avalanche the pile. Then it'll get full scoops with a lot less effort. I have a tooth bar but I don't use it because I frequently need to scoop off concrete and leave a mostly clean surface behind.

/ Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket #7  
I've never had issues filling the bucket on my little PT425 bucket with straight edge when it comes to material like sand, gravel, mulch, crushed limestone, etc... the only thing I've ever had issues with is large rocks, like railroad ballast. Then I switch to my smaller bucket with teeth.

My IH2500b tractor loader operator's manual had a nice section about how to load the bucket efficiently.

Lay the bucket so the cutting edge and bottom are flat to the ground.
Drive into the pile.
As the tractor slows, or the wheels start to spin, lift and curl the bucket at the same time.
This causes the dirt above the cutting edge to crowd the bucket and it fills itself as you lift and curl and drive forward.

I'd have to assume the stuff in that dump trailer is not gonna be packed down after it's dumped out on the ground. That's why I was asking about why his machine has trouble filling the bucket from a pile dumped out of a trailer.

/ Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket
I've never had issues filling the bucket

Probably no trouble filling the bucket with garden mix in a big pile that you can lift & curl. But a 2 yd pile... maybe 1 full bucket & the rest would be floggin’ it. :D.

I was working in the yard too, would have to scrape it off the grass. This was FAR superior - theres no question that overfilling the bucket with every scoop, the first try, to the last bucket, was the superior method. Pretty sure I’ll do it again.

/ Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket #9  
Just remember to set the vehicle brakes! I'm recalling my incident many years ago with a skid steer and dump truck.

/ Drive tractor up into dump trailer to fill bucket #10  
Vehicle brakes don't work if the back end gets lifted up. I chock the trailer tires if I'm loading on a hill. If I've got help I have them hold the vehicle breaks and the trailer brake controller. I probably should keep a rubber band to lock down the trailer brake controller.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

STAR FIRE MEF-3 MOBILE EQUIPMENT FLUID (A32908)
STAR FIRE MEF-3...
2021 Bobcat T64 Skid Steer Loader (A32803)
2021 Bobcat T64...
WOODEN FENCE POST BUNDLE (A32908)
WOODEN FENCE POST...
Kennco 3 Row Mulch Machine (A33526)
Kennco 3 Row Mulch...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...