3-Point Hitch Drilling a stump?

/ Drilling a stump? #1  

Dogtrainer

Tractor
JD 3320
I was looking at my new post hole digger and the sharp bolted on teeth on the auger. I started wondering if the teeth and shear pin would stand up to drilling out the center of an old long dead stump. If it will hold up to the abuse of hitting rocks, will it stand up to scrapping out rotting oak. Obviously you would have to go slow but it may be easier on the auger then hitting rocks. I don't think I would want to try it on a rock solid dry stump but some may yield to the power of the bit. Has anyone ever tried this? One thought is the amount of heat buildup on the bit teeth.

/ Drilling a stump? #2  
Since you stated that the stump is a long dead rotting oak, I, personally don't foresee any problems. I haven't ever applied this method, but other members that have done this may chime in and give you a better idea. I would pay close attention in regards to the root system, especially the Tap Root, though. Best wishes.

/ Drilling a stump? #3  
Interesting idea, let us know if it works

/ Drilling a stump? #4  
You may want to consider drilling into it with a drill first, just to see if you hit hard wood. That spiral drilling into hard wood may make for a long, bad day.

I know when I hit some small roots last week it almost took the tractor into the hole with it. I guess it depends on how ninja you are at using it and how rotten the stump is is, even at the core.

I think drilling, pouring some diesel and letting it slowly burn itself away may be the safer bet. Plenty of folks here swear by that method.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TractorByNet

/ Drilling a stump? #5  
I have done this with a 6" auger on rotting maple and I needed a pilot hole to keep the auger from wandering. Worked fine but I could only drill one hole.
I kept building fires in the hole and when it was really bad hit it with a PTO rototiller and it was mostly gone. Start with slow rpm and stand clear as this can be a higher risk and dangerous operation.
Better to buy a 3 pt stump grinder if you have enough tree to justify.

/ Drilling a stump? #6  
For me, the best way to remove a rotted stump is with a small fan and a piece of sheet metal.

Build a charcoal fire on top of the stump, and after the charcoal has started the rotted wood burning, place the sheet metal over the stump (charcoal and all). Prop one side of the metal up a couple inches on a brick or two, and direct the fan towards the raised edge of the sheet metal. The forced air circulation will carry combustion down below grade and burn the stump and a significant portion of the larger roots.. The air circulation does not need to be great, just a gentle flow. Too much air will defeat the process. There will be some smoke, but not a great amount. It might take a couple of days to burn out.

/ Drilling a stump?