drill press buying

/ drill press buying #1  

polkwrangler

Silver Member
Tractor
1997 L35 kubota
looking into buying a drill press table or floor style....just not sure which one , looking towards the jet brand any thoughts ?

/ drill press buying #2  
They are all so similar now I’d be hard pressed to spend more for a brand like Jet. The Craftsman or similar will do just fine. The subtle features do make a difference - especially for precision and ease of use. and if it was me I’d take a floor model over a bench top.

I have two bench tops and a floor model. The floor model was used and is a nice unit. With shipping etc the Lowe’s or HD may be your best bet.

/ drill press buying #3  
I have a big cheap table top. I wish it was a floor model.

/ drill press buying #4  
Bought one last year, The big thing for me was variable speed vs changing belt positions for speed change.

/ drill press buying #5  
IMO I would check out Craigslist. I have only purchased one drill press new (many years ago) and in retrospect a good used one would have been MORE than adequate at a fraction of the price.

I have several now all purchased used. Even in my local limited used tool market I see at least one for sale every day.

IMG_3710.JPG

/ drill press buying #6  
I got both my drill presses from Craigslist too. Both 50-year old US made, still work fine. Out of curiosity (it is a slow Sunday) I searched Craigslist within 30 miles of a Lakeland zip code, there were about 15 ranging from ultra cheap to major industrial iron.

/ drill press buying #7  
Yep... an old heavy American made will outlast all of us...

If you are doing any kind of metal work... the models with the really low speeds are stout... like 30 or even 60 RPM.

I used a Bridgeport for my Drill Press and more... sometimes there are around dirt cheap!

/ drill press buying #8  
I've been looking since 2010 for a decent standup 120V used 18 inch drill press on Surplus and CL for < $100, but they usually go for $250+ or are 3 phase. Of course these are like the a $1500 machine new.
I finally gave up and bought a WEN 8" last year for $35. I'm still looking for a 18" but at least I can make accurate holes.

/ drill press buying #9  
Bought a used Clausing drill press 30 years ago.
Don't use it often, but what a fantastic machine!

/ drill press buying #10  
Not all of them will go SLOW enough for hole saws, big drills, honing a cylinder, etc. Going nice and slow is needed many times.