Oil & Fuel Draining water from bottom of fuel tank?

/ Draining water from bottom of fuel tank? #1  

Bobvt

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6500, Mahindra mPower 85, LS XP8084CPS
Has anyone tried to drain water/dirt from the bottom of their 4500, 5500, 6000 or 6500 tractor? The manual (pg. 47) says to drain it daily! (I'm not sure it is necessary every day - maybe once or twice a year.) I've tried to do it four times. It is to difficult to get a hold of.

/ Draining water from bottom of fuel tank? #2  
Bob,
I have a E-350 DI. book says drain daily also. I found the plug but it is almost impossible to get to. Also, the fuel would run down the side of the tractor. I have about 180 hrs and haven't drained it yet. I try to use clean fuel, keep tank topped off (no condensation) and park tractor under shed. The book I have does a poor job of explaining changing the two fuel filters, too. I am well pleased with tractor though.

WTM

/ Draining water from bottom of fuel tank? #3  
Dont drain it to often the plug will will out. If you use an additive like lucas or kleen your ok. You can keep from draining it until you change filters.

/ Draining water from bottom of fuel tank? #4  
are you talking about the bottom of the tank or the filter? i havent done either one but im fixin to do 50 hr service.

/ Draining water from bottom of fuel tank? #5  
We have an old JD 730 2 cylinder (built in 1957) and I don't remember EVER draining the water from the tank. It doesn't even have a filter, just a sediment bowl where the fuel sits long enough for the sand, grit, water and small small farm animals to 'settle out'.
I'm with the other guys, buy clean fuel, keep it clean. Keep it full for storage to cut down on condensation.
my .02

/ Draining water from bottom of fuel tank?
I agree. I've owned several tractors and never drained their fuel tanks. But with that said, draining out water and dirt every year or so isn't bad idea. What I found interesting is Mahindra's recommendation to drain daily and having the valve in a place impossible to reach without removing power steering hydraulic lines!

Bob