Drain plug 3/8 +/-

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #21  
Correct. It is a square 3/8 head and I am using the drive end of an extension not a socket. View attachment 727991
Sounds like it is a 10mm male SQ plug. You need a 10mm 4pt socket.
Screenshot_20220105-120139.jpg

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #22  
Pop some corn,throw out a football,bring on the monkeys and 1,979 posts to go.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/-
I have a lawn tractor that has a 3/8" square drain plug (it is a little bigger than 3/8 I cannot put a 3/8 ext bar on it). It is a very tight spot to get a wrench on it. Now I take a 1/2" ext bar and put a wrench on the drive end to turn the plug. The 1/2 is a little "sloppy". Any ideas?
I want to thank everyone for the good advice!

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #25  
Wouldn't a plain old cresent wrench work? Then replace the drain plug with a new one from an auto parts store with a compatible thread and a head compatible with your open end wrench or socket.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #26  
I had the same problem and I had to measure the square with a micrometer which measured 9/32 inch. I ordered the socket from Amazon and works great! The link is for a complete set, but you should be able to get the exact item individually as I did. Good Luck!

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #27  
Wouldn't a plain old cresent wrench work? Then replace the drain plug with a new one from an auto parts store with a compatible thread and a head compatible with your open end wrench or socket.
Agree. I was thinking of a small pipe wrench.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #28  
I have a lawn tractor that has a 3/8" square drain plug (it is a little bigger than 3/8 I cannot put a 3/8 ext bar on it). It is a very tight spot to get a wrench on it. Now I take a 1/2" ext bar and put a wrench on the drive end to turn the plug. The 1/2 is a little "sloppy". Any ideas?
I had a similar problem on an old Allis B I was trying to restore. I ended up buying a small set of sockets designed to remove damaged fasteners. I don't remember exactly what they are called. Each socket has several flexible steel fingers inside. The idea is that you pick the one that fits the tightest and the fingers create enough pressure to the misshappened head that you can remove the fastener. It worked on the old plug on that 1948 tractor. Did not cost a lot.

Tim

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/-
It is in a very tight spot. The engine sits on the frame and pug is at the bottom of the engine. Here is a picture of the engine. This reminds me of the thread about greasing a tractor....You have to wonder who designed this.

I am working at getting an extension for the plug for 2 reasons: access and less of an oil spill.

1641575239556.png

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #30  
I think a 4pt socket is the best idea, but I sometimes find a vise grip crescent works if there's room:

1641579529040.png