Drag Harrow

/ Drag Harrow #1  

PearlWhiteGT

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland T1510
Just had some dozer work done at our little ranch in South Texas. The soil is very sandy and looking at options on making my own drag harrow to level it out as best as I can. Doesn't have to be perfect, just much better than it currently is. Any of you try dragging a weighted cattle panel or some wood pallets? Here is what I'll be working on.

9zAfGFl.jpg

2bB2g8l.jpg

iVBxqKH.jpg

/ Drag Harrow #2  
Ugh, you're making me miss Texas. I have so much I want to do around here, but this frozen ground is currently caked in snow.

I've seen folks use large box springs, chain link fencing, and even railroad ties. All seem to work well enough, so long as you put the time into it.

/ Drag Harrow #3  
I have a roll of 2x4 horse fencing I use. Rolled out 10 ft and wired a angle iron on the leading edge. Chained that to the tractor draw bar and put weight on the fence with the big roll on the end. Tires work good on top of fencing. You just have to secure everything or you'll be chasing lost weights.

/ Drag Harrow #4  
Just had some dozer work done at our little ranch in South Texas. The soil is very sandy and looking at options on making my own drag harrow to level it out as best as I can. Doesn't have to be perfect, just much better than it currently is. Any of you try dragging a weighted cattle panel or some wood pallets? Here is what I'll be working on.

9zAfGFl.jpg

2bB2g8l.jpg

iVBxqKH.jpg

How about reversing a rear blade (if you have one) and smoothing out that way. I have done that many times. Usually a lot less dusty as well.

Just a thought.

/ Drag Harrow
Thanks, would I be able to drag it with my truck if needed? Tractor might be down for a bit and really want to try and level it as soon as I can.

/ Drag Harrow #7  
I used an oak log that was pretty straight that worked great. After a few years, it rotted out on me, so I built one out of angle iron and added some concrete blocks to it for weight. That works a lot better, but it takes a lot of HP and traction to keep it going. The blocks kind of act like a dozer blade, so when your pulling it, the blocks pick up the high ground, and then you lose that soil when you go over a low spot. Only thing that I hate about it is when I get a stick stuck under it, then it just drags the stick around under it and it leaves a line where the stick is digging into the ground. My small 37hp 4x4 tractor can barly pull it, and sometimes it gets to be too much. My bigger 70 and 80 hp tractors pull it fine. I wouldn't try to pull it with a truck.

410.jpg

411.jpg

413.jpg

/ Drag Harrow #8  
Its sand so it dosnt really need to be heavy and can be made from anything. Pallets, tires, fence pannel or any combination of things. Then just add some weight if you feel it needs it.

I borrowed a chain harrow last year for to prep a wooded area for a lawn. I have lots of roots and a little 4x4 300cc quad pulled a 4'x4' drag just fine.

/ Drag Harrow
My thinking is since it's sand it won't require anything heavy like posted above. I'll give the weighted welded wire cattle panels a try and see how they work. Going to try and use my Honda 3 wheeler to drag it around.

8kJx76I.jpg

/ Drag Harrow #10  
My thinking is since it's sand it won't require anything heavy like posted above. I'll give the weighted welded wire cattle panels a try and see how they work. Going to try and use my Honda 3 wheeler to drag it around.

8kJx76I.jpg

Nice to see one of those crazy things still in use, and in good shape!