DR equipment questions

/ DR equipment questions #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Ok, I just received a DR string trimmer/mower and a DR Field and Brush mower. I am looking them over and making sure everything is as it is suppose to be but having no experience with these items I am kind of just going by trial and error as I figure out how they work. I looked on DR's site and these look like the current models but the motors are different.

With the Brush mower it doesn't seem to have the power to cut heavy grass like their commercial shows. I am not sure if I am using it correctly or if there is a problem with it. I am going in 1st and 2nd gear for the most part but it bogs down easily. I haven't looked it over for very many adjustments yet as I was hoping someone on here had experience with them to advise me before I start guessing.

As for the string trimmer I have not started it yet but hope to today. The battery is dead but it should start by pull cord still. Here are a couple pics of things

007.jpg

Brush cutters motor and motor id badge
006-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

String trimmer motor
011.jpg

mower badge
013.jpg

/ DR equipment questions #2  
Robert

Do not know much about the brush cutter but a friend of mine just gave me the same model line trimmer. I had problems with grass wrapping around the bearing on the shaft. I ended up ordering a new trimmer head (sprint model?) for $99. The cutting ability improved 200%. I also changed the line to 155 which lasts longer. Last week I used the Beaver Blade to cut brush up to 3". Works great and cuts level with the ground. The only draw back to the trimmer is that it does not have power at the wheels and is tough to handle on rough ground. Dr Power has a good website with all accessories listed and priced. The customer support was excellent.

DR Power Equipment

Good luck

John

/ DR equipment questions #3  
I have used the 17HP brushcutter for several years with no problems on both high grass and small trees and bushes (it works great - only wish the Kawasaki engine was better at starting in the Winter). For just doing grass it should not be getting bogged down. My first thought would be to check the sharpness of the blade. If it is not cutting on the first pass - the long grass is going to tangle and bog down the motor. My second thought is to check the air filter and clean up the carb as the engine probably not getting enough air/fuel to make the rated HP. Being that this appears to be an older, well used machine - my guess is that both are likely the case.

Joe

/ DR equipment questions #4  
I have used a brush cutter for a year now, the 17 HP model, it has never got bogged down on anything, certainly not grass of any height.

Check the fuel filter too.

/ DR equipment questions #5  
I have the 11.5 brush mower. Cut some wet grass 3 feet high, did not bog down at all. Cut it like nothing.
Check the filter, and carb as stated above. I would also put fresh gas in it, if you have not already (not sure how long it has been sitting).

/ DR equipment questions
The first thing we did was put fresh gas in it but I will give the motor a going over and make sure everything is in top shape and see how it goes. I still haven't tried the string trimmer though but will give that motor a going over also before I try to start it.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I appreciate the input.

/ DR equipment questions #7  
Sometimes the float gets stuck, and floods. Check the overflow tube. Also take a look at your tensioning pulley for the drive belt, and the clutch adjustment on the blade spindle.

/ DR equipment questions
Well, I didn't do much to the mower but it ran great today. I need to drain the old fuel out of the string trimmer though and put fresh fuel in that and try to start it. The oil is good though so hopefully I can try that tomorrow.