DPF Regeneration driving me crazy...

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #371  
Say it isn't so, many on here will tell you it's a myth, there are near zero issues with this Tier 4 business, I would put more faith in what the tractor mechanic that works on them day in and day out has to say about it, he knows what he sees everyday,I'm afraid a few of these folks on here live in disney land where only good things happen and Tier 4 tractors never have problems.
All mechanical thing have problems. Nobody is saying that tier 4 emission systems don’t occasionally fail. But it’s not like everyone experiences this and not frequently. I had problems on my old vehicles with carburetors. I have far less issues with newer vehicles with ecm operated fuel injection systems. All things fail occasionally, but the tier 4 systems have been designed to work pretty well and they do for most people.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #372  
It’s not “new”.
DPF’s are on their 14th year.
DEF is on it’s 11th year.

That is NOT new technology. Never said “sky is falling”. I actually said I’m all for it. What I wish these clowns that force this crap on us would do is give manufacturers time to make it right before we guinea pig it while trying to put food on the table.
I meant new as compared to the time that ICE engines have been used. It was a poor word choice. ICE evolved over 100 years, this stuff is barely over 10.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #373  
Also I get it, farmers have a lot more at stake than home owners and hobbyists. Down time is money.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #374  
All mechanical thing have problems. Nobody is saying that tier 4 emission systems don’t occasionally fail. But it’s not like everyone experiences this and not frequently. I had problems on my old vehicles with carburetors. I have far less issues with newer vehicles with ecm operated fuel injection systems. All things fail occasionally, but the tier 4 systems have been designed to work pretty well and they do for most people.
So you say, a lot of diesel and tractor mechanics say different, most vehicles with carbs could be worked on and repaired right there in the barn yard, jump on one of these tier 4 tractors when they go down, you won't most likely because we can't, but that's not my issue, my experience's with tier 4 has not been as favorable as most of yours, personal experience is generally what we base our opinions on, I understand why if you own 1 tier 4 tractor and haven't had trouble that would be a reason to buy into how good they are, if it doesn't affect you it's harder to see, and trust me people that use a tractor to farm with understand that mechanical things have problems, we work on them regularly.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #375  
Also I get it, farmers have a lot more at stake than home owners and hobbyists. Down time is money.
it aint just farmers. Its excavators, tree companies, landscapers, construction companies, trucking companies and more.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #376  
You are right it does affect the man trying to make a living with it more than most, to him his livelihood is in the field to some it's just a slight inconvienance that they didn't get their 15 minutes away from their wife tractor time.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #377  
So you say, a lot of diesel and tractor mechanics say different, most vehicles with carbs could be worked on and repaired right there in the barn yard, jump on one of these tier 4 tractors when they go down, you won't most likely because we can't, but that's not my issue, my experience's with tier 4 has not been as favorable as most of yours, personal experience is generally what we base our opinions on, I understand why if you own 1 tier 4 tractor and haven't had trouble that would be a reason to buy into how good they are, if it doesn't affect you it's harder to see, and trust me people that use a tractor to farm with understand that mechanical things have problems, we work on them regularly.
I like newer vehicles and newer tractors. Your mileage may vary. Plenty of older iron out there for sale if you prefer that. And yes, I’ve rebuilt several older vehicle carburetors on my work bench. I’ve not yet had an ecm fuel injection issue. When or if I do, it will be towed to a shop, but newer vehicles are still far more reliable. I also remember changing plugs, points and condensers every 25k miles. Yeah, no thanks. I’m glad those days are over.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #378  
it aint just farmers. Its excavators, tree companies, landscapers, construction companies, trucking companies and more.
Next time I'll list out every possible industry that uses a diesel engine so you can know I get a point.
I'm just glad I was in in career that never had to deal with any issues as crippling as these jeez (sarcasm so ppl don't lose their minds)

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #379  
I like newer vehicles and newer tractors. Your mileage may vary. Plenty of older iron out there for sale if you prefer that. And yes, I’ve rebuilt several older vehicle carburetors on my work bench. I’ve not yet had an ecm fuel injection issue. When or if I do, it will be towed to a shop, but newer vehicles are still far more reliable. I also remember changing plugs, points and condensers every 25k miles. Yeah, no thanks. I’m glad those days are over.
Your comparison doesnt work.
We are talking about diesel engines, gas engines (in your carburetor example) dont have DPF/DEF.

So let’s keep it on diesels and set aside pollution controls for a moment…

Newer common rail diesel vehicles & tractors have evolved into more reliable machines in some aspects for the operator, not the mechanic. Computer controlled common rail diesel fuel injection systems are much more expensive to fix when it breaks. The injectors cost more and the pump costs more. The CAPS pump on my Cummins powered tractor is $5,000. An old school mechanical pump was much less. The injectors are much more expensive, too. So would you rather have a computer controlled diesel that runs a bit better & more efficient but costs a fortune to fix, or a simple mechanical diesel that is cheaply & easily fixed?

Now again, staying with diesel engines, add pollution after-treatment equipment. It simply MUST be less reliable by the addition of more sensors, wires, computers and wear parts. It simply cannot be more reliable unless additional advances, separate from the DEF/DPF, were made.
Although common rail is better at cold starting, it is not enough additional reliability to make up for the additional problems caused by DEF/DPF sensor and related failure.

I actually like the newer diesels, but they are shockingly complex and hard to fix without a great deal of backround education in diesel technology or expense.

And BTW- “older iron” does NOT work in some states now. CA has banned older diesel engines. Other states are following.

Last edited:
   / DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #380  
Next time I'll list out every possible industry that uses a diesel engine so you can know I get a point.
I'm just glad I was in in career that never had to deal with any issues as crippling as these jeez (sarcasm so ppl don't lose their minds)

You dont have to do that. We already know. It seems like you were the one who thought it only applied to one industry.
You are right in that you should be glad you work in an industry that hasn’t had to deal with any issues as crippling as these. It sucks when a 1/4 million dollar truck sits alongside the road waiting for a DPF/DEF sensor.
Nearly every product you eat, wear or use was created and shipped by diesel engines. If they are mandated to have complex computer controlled after treatment systems, you pay for them. The costs are passed to the consumer.
It’s the norm now, but we still like to complain about it.