DPF problems..

/ DPF problems..
UPDATE:

Tech showed up while I was at work. Ran the tractor on his laptop, cleared the code and/or flashed the computer and/or forced the regen, I'm not sure, as the regen light was no longer on.

At any rate, I spoke to the service manager. He told me that his tech told him that it's likely a bad ECM; supposedly there were solenoids getting warm when they shouldn't be or some such. When I asked him to elaborate, he stated he wasn't sure because he's the service manager and handles paperwork, but he said he would get with his tech and get it sorted out and give me a call. He did mention they the AGCO rep has been in touch with them, and is actively involved in my case (if that's the proper terminology?)

He told me that it was OK to go ahead and run the tractor now, even with a bad ECM(!?!) But I'm afraid to burn out another set of injectors or do some other kind of costly damage, so it's sitting in the barn, useless.

On a side note, When I pulled the tractor out of the barn the morning the Tech was supposed to be there. I went to use the headlights and they are no longer working. The dash lights are working fine when you turn the headlights on but nothing from either headlight. I asked the service manager about it, and he did say that they had my hood completely off. And perhaps left a wire unplugged. He told me he would ask the guys that serviced it. They had worked just fine before. 🙄🙄🙄

On another note, a guy out the road has an old Ford 1700 4wd for sale. Nice shape, diesel, $3k, but without a front end loader. Can you still purchase an after market FEL for these older machines? I may pull the trigger as a nice little chore machine/stop gap of sorts, because I'm definatley getting rid of mine as soon as this debacle is over and the Massey is fixed.

/ DPF problems.. #62  
UPDATE:

Tech showed up while I was at work. Ran the tractor on his laptop, cleared the code and/or flashed the computer and/or forced the regen, I'm not sure, as the regen light was no longer on.

At any rate, I spoke to the service manager. He told me that his tech told him that it's likely a bad ECM; supposedly there were solenoids getting warm when they shouldn't be or some such. When I asked him to elaborate, he stated he wasn't sure because he's the service manager and handles paperwork, but he said he would get with his tech and get it sorted out and give me a call. He did mention they the AGCO rep has been in touch with them, and is actively involved in my case (if that's the proper terminology?)

He told me that it was OK to go ahead and run the tractor now, even with a bad ECM(!?!) But I'm afraid to burn out another set of injectors or do some other kind of costly damage, so it's sitting in the barn, useless.

On a side note, When I pulled the tractor out of the barn the morning the Tech was supposed to be there. I went to use the headlights and they are no longer working. The dash lights are working fine when you turn the headlights on but nothing from either headlight. I asked the service manager about it, and he did say that they had my hood completely off. And perhaps left a wire unplugged. He told me he would ask the guys that serviced it. They had worked just fine before. 🙄🙄🙄

On another note, a guy out the road has an old Ford 1700 4wd for sale. Nice shape, diesel, $3k, but without a front end loader. Can you still purchase an after market FEL for these older machines? I may pull the trigger as a nice little chore machine/stop gap of sorts, because I'm definatley getting rid of mine as soon as this debacle is over and the Massey is fixed.

It could very well be a bad ECM.
I had a very nice Kubota M-135X loaded to the gills. Nice tractor. Suddenly the glow pugs stopped working. We were able to install a simple switch to work around them, but the dealer suspected fried circuitry in the ECM. Had a few other “glitchy” electrical issues.
New ECM was like 5 grand. Screw that. Sold it

/ DPF problems.. #63  
UPDATE:

I would email the service manager and get him to confirm that you can keep using it whilst they get a new ecm in, even with the risk of injector damage . Once you have that in writing it’s down to them if it burns up the injectors. ( they may change their minds about that!)
I too am looking out for an older tractor with a loader, I’d happily get rid of my new 2850m. I’ve seen used loaders for sale, seem to be $3-5k. Don’t buy unseen though as I’ve seen some with bad rot and/or some very poor repair work.

/ DPF problems.. #64  
I would email the service manager and get him to confirm that you can keep using it whilst they get a new ecm in, even with the risk of injector damage . Once you have that in writing it’s down to them if it burns up the injectors. ( they may change their minds about that!)
I too am looking out for an older tractor with a loader, I’d happily get rid of my new 2850m. I’ve seen used loaders for sale, seem to be $3-5k. Don’t buy unseen though as I’ve seen some with bad rot and/or some very poor repair work.
Southernspeed, how often does your new 2850M regen? I have a new 1840M and it regened at 17 hours and again 12 hours later. I run it at 2600 rpm mowing and regening that often seems excessive.

/ DPF problems.. #65  
Southernspeed, how often does your new 2850M regen? I have a new 1840M and it regened at 17 hours and again 12 hours later. I run it at 2600 rpm mowing and regening that often seems excessive.
I seem to remember the first regen being at 25hrs, then I think roughly 18-20 hrs after that each time. When using the PTO I run it at 2500/2600 which is 540. Mine is hydro and has the auto throttle so if you're moving, you physically can't be below 2200 even at a crawl. On a side note, I change my oil way ahead of schedule although admittedly I don't check it every time I start it. Before I did my last hay of the season I had very recently changed the oil. I checked it after cutting, then tedded and raked, checked it again then baled (this is over a week so other work was done too) After baling I cleaned everything up to put away, was considering changing the tractor engine oil but it was way too soon but thought, what the heck, so drained the oil out. It was thick, black typical OLD diesel engine oil (mine usually comes out pretty clean) and nearly 1 gallon short. I only have 300 hours on this tractor. So if you're using it for hard or prolonged work, I'd definitely recommend checking the oil very frequently!

/ DPF problems.. #66  
I seem to remember the first regen being at 25hrs, then I think roughly 18-20 hrs after that each time. When using the PTO I run it at 2500/2600 which is 540. Mine is hydro and has the auto throttle so if you're moving, you physically can't be below 2200 even at a crawl. On a side note, I change my oil way ahead of schedule although admittedly I don't check it every time I start it. Before I did my last hay of the season I had very recently changed the oil. I checked it after cutting, then tedded and raked, checked it again then baled (this is over a week so other work was done too) After baling I cleaned everything up to put away, was considering changing the tractor engine oil but it was way too soon but thought, what the heck, so drained the oil out. It was thick, black typical OLD diesel engine oil (mine usually comes out pretty clean) and nearly 1 gallon short. I only have 300 hours on this tractor. So if you're using it for hard or prolonged work, I'd definitely recommend checking the oil very frequently!
Thanks, your reply was helpful. My only previous experience with new tractors and regen is with two small JD's. They both regened at pretty much 50 hr. intervals. That's why I questioned if this MF was operating properly. Apparently it is. Thanks again.

/ DPF problems..
I was just scrolling through the latest posts. Funny how many "regen problems" and "DPF problem" posts there are......in EVERY BRAND.

Kinda tells you something about this new junk don't it? Sad.
Yeah, it certainly doesn't seem to be brand specific, does it?

/ DPF problems.. #69  
Yeah, it certainly doesn't seem to be brand specific, does it?
Yep, enough to tell me I am never going to buy a new over 26 h.p. tractor unless it has a delete kit available for it. Otherwise going to keep enjoying my pre-emissions stuff.

/ DPF problems..
Well, the Service Manager has informed me that the tech confirmed that my PCM (or ECU, whatever you choose to call it) is bad. He said more than likely, the PCM took a dump first, and likely contributed to the DPF system failing.

According to the Service Manager, the regional manager whom I mentioned in an earlier post, has OK'd a new PCM on AGCO, and they're going to send the tech out to my place to swap it out and program it. Service Manager says they're only asking that I pay the shop for labor. Sounds like a fair deal to me. New PCM runs $2,800, which after just getting hit with that amount for the DPF repair, honestly. I couldn't have afforded it anyhow. That's near to 6k in repairs. $22,764 was what I paid for it new, if I had to cover the cost of the PCM, were talking almost 25% of the cost of the tractor. That's unbelievable.

Only question now is when. I guess they have to track down a new PCM to ship in.