Dozer Blade or Grader Blade?

/ Dozer Blade or Grader Blade? #1  

Atypical_decorum

Silver Member
Tractor
Ultra-Wide B7500 & looking for a 100hp
Which would you go for? Either will have a hydraulic tilt function, whether I add it or it comes with it.

Details:
8ft dozer blade will attach to the frame with the draw bar being the main point of power transmission. 3pt grader blade will be 8ft. Tractor is a MFWD M105s fully ballasted. Ground is rich in clay and then shale when deep enough. I don't have the financial room to get a dozer and there's too many little projects I need this for to hire out each and every time.

Last edited:
   / Dozer Blade or Grader Blade? #2  
Heavy work should always be done from the Three Point Hitch.

When a blade moves dirt you want the draft resistance transferred to the large, rear tires which provide most tractor traction. Most, not all, rear blades can be rotated 180 degrees, although care has to be taken when pushing.

I recommend updating your tractor make and model in your T-B-N PROFILE.

B7500

Tractor is a MFWD M105s fully ballasted.

I have no idea what tractor this is.

Last edited:
   / Dozer Blade or Grader Blade? #3  
Heavy work should always be done from the Three Point Hitch.

When a blade moves dirt you want the draft resistance transferred to the large, rear tires which provide most tractor traction. Most, not all, rear blades can be rotated 180 degrees, although care has to be taken when pushing.

I recommend updating your tractor make and model in your T-B-N PROFILE.

B7500

Tractor is a MFWD M105s fully ballasted.

I have no idea what tractor this is.
M105s, he may have a cab tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_20220805_155436.jpg
    IMG_20220805_155436.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220805_155412.jpg
    IMG_20220805_155412.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
   / Dozer Blade or Grader Blade?
I've still got the B7500 - I've widened it and put ballasted trencher tires on it though. Now it's almost 70" wide in the rear. The M105S is still in route to me. Those pictures are what it is, no cab.

The dozer blade pushes back against the drawbar. In essence the tractor is still "pulling" the blade forward, and not pushing with the frame. The parts that are mounted dozer frame is the movement hydraulics and then the frame is mounter to the front of the tractor chassis.

M105s, he may have a cab tractor.
What size are those tires??

Mine is coming with ones quite a bit bigger and I'd like to get shorter and fatter.

/ Dozer Blade or Grader Blade? #7  
What do you plan on doing? What tasks do you need done, and in what conditions?

Tractors make poor dozers due to lack of ability to put the power to the ground, difficulty steering under load, and a drivetrain that is not meant for those sort of loads. With that being said the following companies offer blades.

A back blade with gauge wheels is easier on the tractor and will act like a grader.

/ Dozer Blade or Grader Blade? #8  
Ground is rich in clay and then shale when deep enough.

That sounds like a recipe for a dozer.

For light grading with a tractor I'd get a HD rear blade and a TNT kit for the tractor.

I find it's cheaper to get all your ducks in a row and hire a guy with the right sized machine for the job to come in for a day. Do it in the fall and get a 100% write off for your taxes in the spring. Don't need to worry about maintenance, fuel, etc and it frees up your time for paid jobs.

What do you plan on doing? What tasks do you need done, and in what conditions?

Tractors make poor dozers due to lack of ability to put the power to the ground, difficulty steering under load, and a drivetrain that is not meant for those sort of loads. With that being said the following companies offer blades.

A back blade with gauge wheels is easier on the tractor and will act like a grader.

I have a few things to do. I have to cut trails on hillsides and flatten out loads of dirt which are the two primary objectives.

I don't have 150hp. The M105S has 105hp. I saw those blades, including the 3500 that is in my hp range, but they are prohibitively expensive. Another few thousand more and I could get the dozer that I said I didn't have the budget for.

That sounds like a recipe for a dozer.

For light grading with a tractor I'd get a HD rear blade and a TNT kit for the tractor.

I find it's cheaper to get all your ducks in a row and hire a guy with the right sized machine for the job to come in for a day. Do it in the fall and get a 100% write off for your taxes in the spring. Don't need to worry about maintenance, fuel, etc and it frees up your time for paid jobs.

It does sound like dozer work, which I noted and it is. I also don't have the funds for it as in building an entire facility/camp. Getting all my ducks in a row isn't possible. There's many multiple steps to this project and dozer work isn't involved in all of them sequentially. So calling out a dozer for each task would add up pretty quick and add time with whatever schedule openings they had. That's why I'm looking at options of what I can put on my tractor that I got specifically to do all of these tasks.

As far as not being made for that type of work, I can see that to an extent. But with all the 3pt blades and ground engaging equiptment that's made for tractors I tend to think they are designed for pulling things through and in dirt. Now, I realize they're not made for burrying a blade into the ground and driving forward, but that's also not what I'm doing.

I have about 50 loads of dirt to flatten and trails on the sides of hills to cut amongst other drainage ditches and culverts etc.