Double Rainbows

/ Double Rainbows #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
Driving up to our property on a rainy day we saw several beautiful rainbows. Several times we saw a "double rainbow". I had not seen this before.

Attachments

• 851854-DOUBLE RAINBOW.JPG
    851854-DOUBLE RAINBOW.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 318
   / Double Rainbows #3  
Very nice looking pictures of the area.

/ Double Rainbows #5  
Beautiful pictures!! Notice that the other, the outer rainbow, has the colors opposite of what is normal. Thats because the light in the secondary rainbow comes from reflected sunlight, a lake or another big reflecting object.

/ Double Rainbows #6  
That's some awesome scenery, and impressive rainbows. Last spring I got a few shots of double rainbows and someone pointed out that the color in the double rainbows are reversed, I had never noticed that before. Great pics.

/ Double Rainbows
Oh geez you're right 1948berg. I didn't even notice the colors being mirrored until you pointed it out!

My wife took about 20 pictures because it was pretty awesome driving up. The way it made us feel driving up that day is hard to describe but we had ear-to-ear grins on our faces as we viewed them. Like our hearts were lifted.

I'm not going to bore you with all of them but here's one more over a nearby farm.

Attachments

• 851976-Rainbow Farm.JPG
    851976-Rainbow Farm.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 308
   / Double Rainbows #8  
The first rainbow is caused by sunlight reflecting through the water droplets one time (prism effect.) The second is when the light is reflected back inside the raindrops, hence the mirror image but just not quite as brilliant. I thought is was mirrowed from other clouds or droplets until I did a little research.

Good pictures. You can't find anything that can match what God produces.

/ Double Rainbows #9  
Nice pics. Does this mean you're twice as rich now, as you found not one, but TWO pots of gold? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Double Rainbows #10  
That's sure some pretty pictures and a more distinctive double rainbow than the double one I attached in my first post in this thread some 3 years ago. And the second picture (other end of the same rainbow) is the closest I've come to that pot of gold. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif