Don't stand under a tree in a thunderstorm

/ Don't stand under a tree in a thunderstorm #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
Don\'t stand under a tree in a thunderstorm

Maybe this belongs in Photos, but it's more of a Related Item to tractoring since you could easily make the mistake of taking shelter under a tree in a rain storm. Here's a tree on my place that was hit by lightning and exploded. There are no burn marks whatsoever. It was a completely healthy and viable tree before being hit. When I saw it, I was a little befuddled because I knew we hadn't had any wind. Then, I remembered heavy lightning had occurred a few nights previous. Notice the bark of the tree is split out in all directions. Also, notice the top of the tree dropped straight down. There were debris chunks of this tree up to 50' in all directions. I wish I could have seen it happen, although I'm sure it would have scared the begeebers out of me. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 744433-Tree1.jpg
    744433-Tree1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 406
   / Don't stand under a tree in a thunderstorm
Re: Don\'t stand under a tree in a thunderstorm

Another closer view.

Attachments

• 744435-Tree2.jpg
    744435-Tree2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 288

Exploded heartwood, but no burns... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 744436-Tree3.jpg
    744436-Tree3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 279
   / Don't stand under a tree in a thunderstorm #4  

Looks like some good BBQ wood to me! even use those splinters on a gas grill for flavor.

/ Don't stand under a tree in a thunderstorm #5  

Good pictures Jim!

The only time I ever saw this was when I was just a young kid and living at home. The next door neighbors tree took the hit and the tree instantly exploded. It was pretty hard for us to miss the action since it was so close. I was told that the high voltage and amperage of the lightening strike causes any moisture in the tree to flash vaporize with bad results to the tree.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Looks like some good BBQ wood to me! even use those splinters on a gas grill for flavor. )</font>

And I can cut it up in a thunderstorm since lightning never strikes twice in the same place. Right? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Actually, I was thinkin' of firewood. After all, it's already split for me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Don't stand under a tree in a thunderstorm #7  

jinman,
What kind of tree was it?

/ Don't stand under a tree in a thunderstorm #8  

Jim, about every other year my father burns wood that has been hit by lightning in his fireplace. He says that you have to be really careful because it will pop and throw sparks like crazy as it burns. I wonder if there is a scientific reason for this?

/ Don't stand under a tree in a thunderstorm #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wish I could have seen it happen, although I'm sure it would have scared the begeebers out of me. )</font>

You don't need no stinking begeebers in you anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( jinman,
What kind of tree was it? )</font>

<font color="blue"> hobbyfarm: </font> It was a postoak, but not the tallest tree in that area. Who knows what makes lightning strike one tree and not a taller one within 20 feet? May it's moisture content.

<font color="blue"> txdon: </font> Maybe it pops because the lightning made porous air pockets form inside the wood. I'll have to make a comparison and see if it's noticeable when I burn this and other wood.