? Don't fix it if it ain't broke ?

/ ? Don't fix it if it ain't broke ? #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
I have a MF 205 with the KiKi diesel engine and a mower deck ? MF 218. It is a 3 blade mower deck and 3 years ago one of the spindles tied up and the bearings were shot. I have no idea how old the unit was since it was a trade (5 years ago) with a close friend who owned a local MF dealership before it shut down in the US.

I took it apart and the bearings were shot but also the spindle assembly was also destroyed. The internal grooves to hold the 2 bearings as well as the grooves to hold the small bore seals were gone. I was able to replace the bearings easily (Timkin L44610, L44643 )and the seals9 Chicago Rawhide 98878). It took some doing but local AGi parts farm located me the exact spindle replacement (AGCO 1055518M92 @ approx $390).

At that time (2015), i carefully checked the other 2 spindles and pulleys for play etc. to check the bearings and all seemed ok. I did not dismantle either spindle assembly since this is no minor task. I used it well for the past three years mowing about 6 acres of grass on flat non rocky soil almost black sandy loam until the other day when the mower belt jumped and ultimately found the other outside blade spindle and bearings were shot. It was full of grease as I was very meticulous in greasing often.

Before disassembly, i knew the bearings had to be shot but was uncertain about the spindle housing and its possible damage as before in 2015. The bearings were available but i checked with my Agri Parts man as it was a long week end coming and i was trying to get some idea how long it would take to get the replacement if I needed one. The shocking news was that they were no longer available and he did an extensive search to no avail. Wow. You can imagine as I dismantled the unit to find that the bearing were shot but the internal spindle housing was not damaged.

Of course, I am going to take the 3rd spindle down and replace the bearing in spite of how snug or no play evident at this time.

Knowing now what i did not know 3 years ago , I asked my self should i have changed the bearing in the other 2, it spite of their not showing play. I should have begun wondering after it took some effort to find that replacement spindle 3 years ago that the future supply might dry up. I should have considered that if one set of bearings was badly worn should I have considered the other 2 might not be far behind? In other words when should "preventative maintenance" super cede "don't fix it if it ain't broke"?

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (2).JPG
    IMG_0001 (2).JPG
    807.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0005 (2).JPG
    IMG_0005 (2).JPG
    948.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
   / ? Don't fix it if it ain't broke ? #2  
I have a MF 205 with the KiKi diesel engine and a mower deck ? MF 218. It is a 3 blade mower deck and 3 years ago one of the spindles tied up and the bearings were shot. I have no idea how old the unit was since it was a trade (5 years ago) with a close friend who owned a local MF dealership before it shut down in the US.

I took it apart and the bearings were shot but also the spindle assembly was also destroyed. The internal grooves to hold the 2 bearings as well as the grooves to hold the small bore seals were gone. I was able to replace the bearings easily (Timkin L44610, L44643 )and the seals9 Chicago Rawhide 98878). It took some doing but local AGi parts farm located me the exact spindle replacement (AGCO 1055518M92 @ approx $390).

At that time (2015), i carefully checked the other 2 spindles and pulleys for play etc. to check the bearings and all seemed ok. I did not dismantle either spindle assembly since this is no minor task. I used it well for the past three years mowing about 6 acres of grass on flat non rocky soil almost black sandy loam until the other day when the mower belt jumped and ultimately found the other outside blade spindle and bearings were shot. It was full of grease as I was very meticulous in greasing often.

Before disassembly, i knew the bearings had to be shot but was uncertain about the spindle housing and its possible damage as before in 2015. The bearings were available but i checked with my Agri Parts man as it was a long week end coming and i was trying to get some idea how long it would take to get the replacement if I needed one. The shocking news was that they were no longer available and he did an extensive search to no avail. Wow. You can imagine as I dismantled the unit to find that the bearing were shot but the internal spindle housing was not damaged.

Of course, I am going to take the 3rd spindle down and replace the bearing in spite of how snug or no play evident at this time.

Knowing now what i did not know 3 years ago , I asked my self should i have changed the bearing in the other 2, it spite of their not showing play. I should have begun wondering after it took some effort to find that replacement spindle 3 years ago that the future supply might dry up. I should have considered that if one set of bearings was badly worn should I have considered the other 2 might not be far behind? In other words when should "preventative maintenance" super cede "don't fix it if it ain't broke"?

Obviously over greased! ;-)

Bearing failure is a tough one... Some seen to run forever. But mower spindles have a tough life.

/ ? Don't fix it if it ain't broke ? #3  
To be truthful, I would have changed all three bearings. That's due to my Navy training in that 'if there are more than one, and one goes, replace them all'.

Especially when it comes to something mechanical... call it a balancing act. The new bearing/part will now be more efficient, putting/transferring added strain onto the older bearing(s)/part(s).

You are actually ahead of the game if you are able to replace them all at the same time.

/ ? Don't fix it if it ain't broke ?
CalG:
Thank you for the response. Question: How do you know when you have properly greased. These are spindles which function with the mower blades. The zerks are on the top side with the drive belt pulleys. I usually give it 3 pumps on the manual grease gun. How do you know over grease vs under. I try to grease up at least every other run (2-3 acres tall grass).

/ ? Don't fix it if it ain't broke ?
Dear K7LN:
Thanks for the info. I asked my bearing supplier (large industrial supplier for automotive industry here in NW Ohio) and essentially said to do no more than "palm" a modest amt of grease then press into the bearing. Use a Lithium grease instead of the axel grease I really packed into the last replacement I did 3 years ago. I will replace all three sets of bearing this time. I am a little unsure as how to maintain some grease level via the zerc after usage.

/ ? Don't fix it if it ain't broke ? #6  
To be truthful, I would have changed all three bearings
I'm of the same mind. If there's more than one of something in the same application, I'll change them all. ......Mike

/ ? Don't fix it if it ain't broke ? #7  
To be truthful, I would have changed all three bearings. That's due to my Navy training in that 'if there are more than one, and one goes, replace them all'.

Especially when it comes to something mechanical... call it a balancing act. The new bearing/part will now be more efficient, putting/transferring added strain onto the older bearing(s)/part(s).

You are actually ahead of the game if you are able to replace them all at the same time.

Mixing new and old parts is a gamble for sure but the cost to replace 3 holes at the same time is not cheap at the time. :)