Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #11  
Our family lived in a small town in north central WA. Initially we were on a septic system. Then the city extended the sewer line. My dad handed me a shovel one day and outlined the trench I was to dig. From the house to the street. Some 90 feet.

The digging was pretty easy - all sand. The problem - when the wind blew - the trench would partially fill back in. Finally I got it done.

My dad said - "get an education or do this for the remainder of your life". He was very proud when I got my Masters degree.

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #12  
Hmmm........dog-farming. Never thought of that on a small acreage. Most on a few acres here are grass-farmers

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #13  
Hmmm........dog-farming. Never thought of that on a small acreage. Most on a few acres here are grass-farmers

I suppose if someone wants to call breeding dogs farming...so they can call themselves farmers it is a small delusion.

I am old school. A farmer makes stuff to eat. I suppose the local Chinese, and Vietnamese restaurants may need dogs farmed.

I need to get with the times I guess. Can’t figure out the new definition of gender either.

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #14  
I suppose if someone wants to call breeding dogs farming...so they can call themselves farmers it is a small delusion.

I am old school. A farmer makes stuff to eat. I suppose the local Chinese, and Vietnamese restaurants may need dogs farmed.

I need to get with the times I guess. Can’t figure out the new definition of gender either.
I guess we could say the same thing about Horse Ranches. HEAVEN FORBID!!! :ROFLMAO:

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #17  
Your Christmas tree came from a farm.
Mine came from Hobby Lobby....but comparing a tree farm, that has significant acreage, to a dog farm that might be a couple of acres is ridiculous.

Like the lady said..."Size matters"

Smarter guys than I can decide how many dogs a person needs to raise before going from being a dog lover, to a dog breeder, and the pinnacle... a dog farmer.

Like the dufus I am, when I was shopping for a tractor, I answered "no" when asked if I qualified for the farmer discount.

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #18  
Your Christmas tree came from a farm.
Pretty sure mine came from a factory in China…and every year since the year before we got married I tell the wife we need to get rid of it.

Choose your battles etc.

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things
He did not address what happens down the road when he is in his 70's. Even with the best intentions and understanding of what it takes to live on homestead life, it is a risky way to live.

Two years ago, I broke my ankle. I thought it was just a bad sprain and walked on it for a month and carried in firewood. If I had livestock, it would have been tough to deal with. It only takes one hiccup to go from living hand to mouth to not making it.

This guy is honest about living hand to mouth. I know a guy and his wife who live like this and they are in their late sixties/early seventies. They do not have two nickels to rub together. They are not going to make it. Good people but have not planned for the future.
It will be sold before I get that old. I know at some point, I will no longer be able to maintain it. Hopefully, one of our kids will decide it’s worth keeping in the family