doing things the hard way

/ doing things the hard way #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I have been collecting parts to build a wood processor for a couple of years now. If I had stuck to my original plan, the darn thing would be built by now, But!
Gathering parts on the cheap is sometimes hard to do, but patience and no urgency means I can wait to find all the parts. I am preparing to start building the splitter part. I had purchased a 5in bore cylinder for this project, but used it on my other splitter instead. With my current splitter I already had a 4in cylinder and a 4way wedge, since adding the 5in cyl, I also added 2 more wedges and made it a 6way split. I also added a 28gpm two stage pump. Works great but, On some of the larger knarly rounds, it still seems a little low on power. With this in mind, and since I plan on a 12 way wedge for the processor, I decided a 6in cylinder might be a better choice. I havent had much luck in finding a used 6in cylinder and new ones are kind of pricey. Also, the ports are usually only 3/4 npt and rod size of 3in dia. . I am wanting to throw around 40gpm to the cylinder and dont really want the restriction the 3/4 ports provide. Now my plans are to use 2-4in cylinders The 4in bore and 2in shaft of the 2-4in cyls would be equal to the 6in bore and 3in shaft of the 6in cylinder. The plus is that I will have 2 3/4in ports to flow the oil thru. Yea I could buy a 6in cyl and install larger ports, but the price of 2 4's is less than one 6in

Now the questions. What is the best way to divide the oil between the 2 cylinders. Hose off pump will be a #16. I am considering just using a tee and and using #12jic from tee to cylinders.
Also considered building a manifold out of pipe, but think the tee would work as well as a pipe mainfold, with less chance of bursting. Also considered a divider valve, but is there really any advantage to going that route and the added expense.

Also having problems finding a good stack pump. I want the 40gpm for the splitter, but I also need and additional 30gpm for the hydraulic saw and other accessories. Saw needs 25gpm. The 30gpm pump pressure will only be in the 2000psi range. Not wanting to buy new, but have been looking at Surplus Centers site and have a few questions concerning combining pumps. Problem is their front pumps, such as 3.869 cu in PRINCE HYD FRONT PUMP SPD263A9H2L are Sae B mount in the front and SAE A mount in the rear. Finding a sae pump at 30-40gpm that would couple to their front pumps doesnt seem likely.

Other option is to just use 2 pumps mounted seperately. I will also be mounting a third pump to the front of the engine crank. It is also a stacked pump, but of lesser volumes. Third pump wont be installed during the initial build, but will be to operate a knuckle boom I plan to add in the future. My current diesel engine is only 50hp and I know it wont do everything I want, but I am going to go ahead and use it while testing and keep looking for a larger engine.

/ doing things the hard way #2  
Your 50 HP engine will only support a 29 GPM pump at 2500 psi.

/ doing things the hard way
According to the surplus center tech site, 30gpm@2500psi will take 51hp. 30gpm @2000psi takes 41hp. The hydraulic motor need 25gpm @2000psi and needs 34hp. The splitter at 40gpm@2000 psi needs 55hp and will produce 28tons. I will probably settle for 40gpm at 2500psi =35tons. With my current engine, everything is marginable, but should work as long as I only run one thing at time. Good enough for testing , but not where I want to be. I have found a 471 detroit,, over 100hp, but they are heavy and loud. Looking for a b4 cummins, but havent found one yet.

What i will probably do is work on getting the saw motor right and use my current wood splitter hydraulics to power the processor splitter temporary for testing.