Dogs and warm stoves

/ Dogs and warm stoves #1  

crusty 1

Platinum Member
It never ceases to amaze me that it doesn,t take a dog long to learn that its very comfy in front of a lit stove:laughing: and they sure do seem to bask in the warmth.My now year old Sophie will lay in front of our LR stove till her brain is on the verge of damage.She,ll cook for awhile and then is at the door to go out side to cool off and then come in to repeat it all over again.It,s looking like a fun filled winter here in northern Mn.:D Anyone else have a "hot dog"?I know most of you may still be one the warm side so hope this brings a refreshing chuckle to you.Dave

/ Dogs and warm stoves #2  
Our JRT will lie in the sun in the kitchen until he is stunned from the heat. He loves it.

/ Dogs and warm stoves #3  
Yep. Our dog just loves to lay on the driveway in the sun no matter what the temperature.

He will lay there a while, get up and walk over to the water bowl, take a slow drink, look around, walk back to his spot, and lay back down.

Sometimes a squirrel will get his attention but he seems to just love laying in the sun.

MoKelly

/ Dogs and warm stoves #4  
One of my 3 golden retrievers LOVES to lay in front of the fireplace....till shes hot to the touch. Then shell get up and want to go outside to cool off. Later its back to the fireplace. Nutty girl.

The 2 boys are smarter, they stay off to the side and stay cooler.

/ Dogs and warm stoves #5  
Same here.... dog lays in front of the stove till he's ready to spontaneously combust. Then goes to lay on the cool floor in the other room to cool off. Then, back to the stove.

Cat has it figured out. She usually lays far enough away to be comfortable for long periods.

Attachments

• Max 006.JPG
    Max 006.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 251
   / Dogs and warm stoves #6  
Same here.... dog lays in front of the stove till he's ready to spontaneously combust. Then goes to lay on the cool floor in the other room to cool off. Then, back to the stove.

Cat has it figured out. She usually lays far enough away to be comfortable for long periods.

it must be a golden retriever thing. Last Christmas i noticed that my dog wasn't next to the fireplace......the other 2 dogs were asleep, she was nowheres to be found. I found her down in the utility room with ALL of the dogs xmas presents. She slowly took all of them down there to her bed and surrounded herself with them. The little sneak.

Attachments

• ruby toys small.jpg
    ruby toys small.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 310
   / Dogs and warm stoves #7  
This is our oldest dog, Baby. (11-1/2 y.o.) She's 1/2 Brittany Spaniel, 1/2 Papillon, and ALL dog! And she is without question, the smartest dog I've ever been around. She absolutely LOVES laying on the brick hearth once it gets good and toasty warm. She'll rotate sides every hour or so to keep "even heat". And if I let the fire burn down too low, she'll come find one of us and lead us to the fireplace. I'm expecting her to start throwing logs on the fire herself before long.

No, she doesn't smoke.....The ash tray is my wifes....

Attachments

• Jan1dogs 001.jpg
    Jan1dogs 001.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Jan1dogs 002.jpg
    Jan1dogs 002.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 208
   / Dogs and warm stoves #8  
This is our oldest dog, Baby. (11-1/2 y.o.) She's 1/2 Brittany Spaniel, 1/2 Papillon, and ALL dog! And she is without question, the smartest dog I've ever been around. She absolutely LOVES laying on the brick hearth once it gets good and toasty warm. She'll rotate sides every hour or so to keep "even heat". And if I let the fire burn down too low, she'll come find one of us and lead us to the fireplace. I'm expecting her to start throwing logs on the fire herself before long.

hehe..you beat me to it, i was wondering how long she has smoked

/ Dogs and warm stoves

Too funny,but she just may do that one day if she gets a chill.Sophie is a just over year old sheltie and already "heards" me to her food and water bowls in the morning.She not only demands to be warm,but wants to be feed as well.Dave

/ Dogs and warm stoves #10  
Yep. Our dog just loves to lay on the driveway in the sun no matter what the temperature.

He will lay there a while, get up and walk over to the water bowl, take a slow drink, look around, walk back to his spot, and lay back down.

Sometimes a squirrel will get his attention but he seems to just love laying in the sun.

MoKelly

Our chihuahua is the same way. Of course we don't have a stove in our house, except the electric cookstove, but even in the heat of the summer, this chihuahua will lie flat on her side in the sun; sometimes on the wooden deck, sometimes in the grass, and sometimes on concrete so hot that I wouldn't be able to tolerate walking across it barefoot.