Dog stories

/ Dog stories #61  
I grew up with Lab and I love them too, they are so easy to train for hunting, it's simply natural for them...

As a kid I went to the chicken coop to pick up the eggs as I walk out of the barn I drop one egg our lab at the time was walking next to me and caught that egg mid air with its mouth without breaking it...always thought it was incredible.

I currently have a lab and a golden retriever / border colie mix. The lab I can bring anywhere not so much the other one, he his dominant, protective and grumpy type, despite his stubbornness he listen very well. I trust him around people but don't trust people around him if that make sense, he his not vicious by any means but he his particular on who he let touch him. He never bit anyone but he will warn you more then once and each time more obvious but I don't trust people to listen to these warnings... I always want/try to bring them along but often leave the golden behind for these reasons....

A few weeks ago I went to see my cousin at his cabin, since it was in the bush and didn't expect too many people to be there I brough them both. I wasn't there too long and one of my other cousin show up with his kids and their dog. Their dog is not train very well and is a attention freak plus all he wants to do is play, he is pretty obsess. I made the introduction between them outside without anyone around, it went well other then my dog had to show him he was the dominant one. I made it clear to everyone, A don't touch my dog and B no fetching no balls no nothing. I told my dog to sit and stay next to me (I didn't bring a leash, bad owner I know) but he is obedient so he stayed without issue and everything was perfectly fine other then my cousin dog was really annoying because he couldn't play. In order to shut his dog up my cousin started telling me ''poor dog,(implying mine) they are good let him be'' I was like no he his fine where he his, there's too many people and if I let them be they will get in the mix of us and they will fight by jealousy or protection for us, so for your dog and everyone safety he will stay where he is ...he wasn't letting it go and kept bugging me, then the F**** started telling me its not a big deal if it happen plus I think my dog would win anyways ... I was blown away, I laugh and was like I've never seen my dog loose the upper hand (believe me I wish he would maybe it would smart him up) and are we organizing a dog fight is that what is happening right now ?? at that point I left... like I said I trust my dog I just don't trust people around my dog.

I always get the one person come over and say ho nice dog can I pet him ? I say no he is particular so don't. Then they insist, it's fine I am a dog person… I have to argue with them...how exhausting, sometime I fell like just letting it happen but I know how it would turn around against me so quick.

Last edited:
   / Dog stories #62  
My brother has a lab pup (year old or so) he won't tolerate anyone fighting regardless of who it is, we tested it out and sure enough he will softly grab the instigating hand with his mouth or bite your clothing and pull you away to break the fight. A real peacekeeper, I've never seen this behavior before.

/ Dog stories #63  
As a kid we had a lab / germen shepherd mix and twice we told him to attack one of our friend for fun and the dog went after them, one of them the dog jump on his back scratching him in the process the second the guy climb a tree to escape the dog... a pretty good dog if you ask me, too bad he didn't last too long, he got hit by a sled. Now the dog wasn't train to exhibit this behavior, he shouldn't have known what attack meant, did he simply react (prey instinct) to the kids reaction upon shouting the command? most likely but I am still wondering it to this day who started running first the kids or the dog.

/ Dog stories #64  
My brother has a lab pup (year old or so) he won't tolerate anyone fighting regardless of who it is, we tested it out and sure enough he will softly grab the instigating hand with his mouth or bite your clothing and pull you away to break the fight. A real peacekeeper, I've never seen this behavior before.
We've had Newfies that did that. Had one that wouldn't even tolerate two people hugging. She'd get between them to break it up.

/ Dog stories #65  
Drove cross country to visit my brother that lived in the Chesapeake Bay area. Brought along my dog, Henry. This was the first time Henry had ever been to my brother's house. Henry was an odd duck of a dog. I could never get him to fetch and he didn't seem to like other people. My brother had two young sons at the time. Henry turned into a a very different dog around these children. He loved playing, rough housing, and I was startled when he started retrieving items tossed by the kids.
On the third day of the visit, my brother suggested we spend the day, with the boys, out fishing on The Bay. Henry loved to go boating. We drive out to the docks where he had his center console fishing boat. I had never been on this particular boat before. There were three separated piers with 20 or so boats each. Henry saw boats, and bolted out of the car and ran along the entire first pier, like he was looking for something. We were collecting up our stuff for the outing, and I see Henry run over to the second pier and do the same thing, then saw him run off to the last pier. I asked the brother which pier his boat was docked. Brother said his boat was on the furthest pier. Then he asked me where my dog was? Henry just seemed to have disappeared. Figured we'd just get to the boat and then I'd go find him. We get to the boat and in that boat, was Henry.
If reality generated thought bubbles, like in cartoons, I could visualized one over this dog's head that said, "Its this one.... Right?" :)

Last edited:
   / Dog stories #66  
Drove cross country to visit my brother that lived in the Chesapeake Bay area. Brought along my dog, Henry. This was the first time Henry had ever been to my brother's house. Henry was an odd duck of a dog. I could never get him to fetch and he didn't seem to like other people. My brother had two young sons at the time. Henry turned into a a very different dog around these children. He loved playing, rough housing, and I was startled when he started retrieving items tossed by the kids.
On the third day of the visit, my brother suggested we spend the day, with the boys, out fishing on The Bay. Henry loved to go boating. We drive out to the docks where he had his center console fishing boat. I had never been on this particular boat before. There were three separated piers with 20 or so boats. Henry saw boats, and bolted out of the car and ran along the entire first pier, like he was looking for something. We were collecting up our stuff for the outing, and I see Henry run over to the second pier and do the same thing then saw him run off to the last pier. I asked the brother which pier his boat was docked. Brother said his boat was on the furthest pier. Then he asked me where my dog was? Henry just seemed to have disappeared. Figured we'd just get to the boat and then I'd go find him. We get to the boat and in that boat, was Henry.
If reality generated though bubbles, like in cartoons, I could visualized one over this dog's head that said, "Its this one.... Right?" :)
my guess is he smell their sent in the boat ... but very odd ... I would assume these kids got Henry inner pup out... touching story... I have seen the fetching phenomenon myself with my buddy newfoundlandler dog... me and that dog we have a good relationship he really likes me for some reason and he is the zero F given type of dog...One summer I spend lots of time at my friend and I would untie him and pet him and play with him every time I got back from work, one day I found a ball and threw the ball at him and my buddy was like you are wasting your time he is not interested in fetching... the dog came back with it then my friend said he never do that more then once and I kept throwing it and he kept bringing it back my friend was very surprised.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Dog stories #67  
In the 1990's we were at my folks place in Chamberlain SD so see my folks for a few days as we passing through town. My dad had been trialing border collies for many years by then and when chatting with my spouse said to her "you guys should take Holly home with you, she's arthritic now and can't run sheep anymore. She'd be good with you guys". Shocked over this statement and we had no dogs at that point. So we talked about it for a few minutes and took her home who was about 12 at that time. My mother was shocked he'd give her up. Here she is.
Holly 1989(DL).jpg
Snowshoe with Holly over Lake S.JPG

/ Dog stories #68  
Charlie became our next dog after Henry. He was a shelter dog and completely shut down after being returned to the shelter a few times. I guess for bad behavior. We later learned that his bad behavior was eating very expensive seat belts, if left in a car for more than 10 minutes, or completely destroying the interior of a house if left alone for a 1/2 hour. We adjusted to this, and Charlie slowly came around to adopting us. It took several months. Charlie loves three play toys. There is the Sock..... we nick named him "sock monster" because he would steal them and hide them, and only bring them out to play in a tug-war manner. There is the Rope. More tug of war stuff, and then there are the Balls to toss around. But he wouldn't bring them back. We had to chase him to get the balls back. We played every day, mostly in the morning, before we had to lock him up in the garage while we both worked. So one morning, I am presented with this, as I go to make coffee. This is not a set up photo. The dog did this. :)

Attachments

• charliewantstoplay.jpg
    charliewantstoplay.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
   / Dog stories
We later learned that his bad behavior was eating very expensive seat belts, if left in a car for more than 10 minutes, or completely destroying the interior of a house if left alone for a 1/2 hour.

That's an owner problem, not a dog problem. Many dogs get separation anxiety, especially a pup which has been abandoned repeatedly.

I know, I know. I'm preaching to the choir. 😀

/ Dog stories #70  
my brother had one of these dog, a weimaraner with major separation anxiety, one time he got out of his cage while he was gone at work and he tried to get out of the house, you could see the K9 marks on the door knob, every windows screen of the house where ripped off and while doing so he open the sink tap and turn it to the hot water and he has hot water on demand so it never ran out lol … when my brother came home there was a fog inside the house and water dripping from the sealing from the humidity.