Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It?

/ Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It? #11  
My trusty sidekick Max has torn an ACL hopping into my neighbor's pickup a few weeks ago. A visit to his Vet has has him scheduled for surgery next Monday. We really like our Vet and feel very confortable that he does the surgery himself in-house. I'm wondering if any of you folks have been through this with your dog(s) and what I should expect.

Our Cocker Spaniel Mix had both done - 8 months apart. Good outcome both times.
Only thing was, she wasn't happy about the overnight stay the second time around. Guess she had enough of vet visits for a while. Voiced her displeasure and headed for the door when we picked her up. She was about 3 years old at the time. Afterward she ran like a puppy for a good 10 - 11 more years and up until she got ill. The vet said the first time if we elected not to have surgery and she tore the other ACL, she might not walk again. No question when it's the only dog your daughter ever had. After the usual recuperation as mentioned - restricted to leash, no jumping, running, etc. there was some physical therapy we had to do which involved putting her on her back and doing "bicycle motions" with her hind legs. The first time the instructions said "10 repetitions, 3x a day." The second time there was a typo and it said "100 repetitions, 3x a day"!!!
I guess it was a bit easier the second time around as we knew what to expect, including the $$$. And the surgeon was trying his best to help us by saying dogs only have 2 the same as us and once she was done, that was it. Her new nickname was the bionic dog.
There were many times watching her run afterward that I had to remind myself that she had the surgeries.
Best of luck and hope everything turns out well.

/ Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It? #12  
I have had both of my AmStaff's (pitbull) rear ACLs done. about $3500 each. It was a 6 week recovery each time and the dog has to be very low key. This is not easy for this breed!

/ Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It? #13  
OK I was thinking maybe id get a dog but now I know I cant afford it :D

/ Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It? #14  
tplo is the way to go. the bone is cut and the tibia leveled to change the angles so there is no strain on the leg which is reenforced by a plate. The 'cheap" sugery consists of stabilizing the joint with fish line type material. An active dog might stretch this material and you're back where you started. If the dog injured one leg the chances are good that the other will go too. These things I know from sad experience.Spend the extra for the tplo and do it right one time. If you have a teaching hospital near you , it will be a lot less expensive.

/ Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It? #15  
Pretty easy for me to sit on the sideline and make statements, but having been through aging dogs and know what we have spent all I can say is good luck ductape thoughts are with you and your best friend.

Wayne

Ps I still have a picture of our old trusted friend (take must have bite me a dozen times or so) on my computer as a screen saver!

/ Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It? #16  
We had a Golden that had two ACL surgeries. One on each back leg. Poor old thing did not have a good leg to stand on. She broke a front leg and compensated when walking by leaning on the other leg which bowed under the weight. The broken leg healed but was never quite 100%.

Then she blew out the two back legs but they all healed up and she had a few more years. We tried to limit her from running but a Golden wants to FETCH. :D

Worst part of us is that the last injury happened on a Friday afternoon. We got her to the vet before closing and they sent us to the vet that did the first ACL surgery. He could not do the surgery until Monday. :eek: The dog was in lots of pain so they gave us shots to give her through the weekend to control the pain. The dog had to poo and pee on herself since she could not move because of the pain. :eek: Poor thing. Worse was we had to keep her in the garage because of the poo and pee problem. But the drugs kept her in la la land so she was out of it.

We had to help her go to the bathroom after the surgery. A towel under her stomach helps them squat.

Good Luck,
Dan

/ Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It? #17  
About 5 years ago, I had a lab the required ACL surgery on both
rear legs. Could only afford to do one at a time. Doc did the worst
one first. Results were so good, the dog was able to compensate for
the other leg. Never did surgery on the remaining leg.

Cost at the time was about 1500 per leg.

/ Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It? #18  
About 5 years ago, I had a lab the required ACL surgery on both
rear legs. Could only afford to do one at a time. Doc did the worst
one first. Results were so good, the dog was able to compensate for
the other leg. Never did surgery on the remaining leg.

Cost at the time was about 1500 per leg.

I have heard of this situation a few times before. We chose to non-surgery route. There are many people that don't have ACLs. It just limits what they can do. Our dogs are happy and still somewhat active - just not what they use to be. I only am concerned what it will be like near the end of their lives.

/ Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It? #19  
About 9 years ago we had a bad experience with ACL surgery on our 7 year old female German Shepherd. We still have full confidence with our vet but either a nerve was pinched or cut during the intial surgery and the outcome was no feeling or use of the lower leg. Our vet did another surgery to try to correct the problem but she never regained full use of the leg. If we had a chance to do it over again it would have been better to have not had surgery. She could walk before the surgery and we thought the procedure would repair the damage. No doubt the surgical procedure has been refined since we had it done.

/ Dog Has Torn ACL, Needs Surgery....... Who's Been Through It? #20  
I had the cheaper surgery done to my Presa, mainly because I was not happy with the orthopedic surgeon I visited for the consultation at all. And his hospital still used acepromazine as a pre-anesthetic, which is a big no-no for bully breeds. So anyway, I had the monofilament figure 8 done at my own vet and she's ok, but showing stiffness in the joint now that she's almost 11. She had it done 5 years ago. Really, the Tibea Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (or something like that) is the way to go for heavier dogs. It takes longer to heal from, but they show signs of improvement more quickly.
And FWIW, get it done. My girl blew her knee out because of a hip injury on her other side she must have suffered before I got her. She was compensating and the extra strain on the opposite knee tore some ligaments. Not getting the surgery will probably blow out the other good knee.
I recommend Liquid Health Level 5000 for the glucosamine the dog will need. Excellent product.

That brace is pretty cool.