Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity?

/ Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity? #1  

Ronster

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X739, Kubota U27-4, Kubota RTV 500
I thought this might have been covered somewhere already, but I can't find it. Example: A trailer with a 5880 lb payload rating (7000-1120=5880), with say 750-1,000 lbs on the tongue. Will this safely haul a 5900 lb excavator?

/ Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity? #2  
What the sticker says is what you got.

Assuming of course you're also safe with the hitch setup and tow vehicle capacities.

/ Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity? #3  
Safely or legally?
I think yes on the former, not sure on the later… but I thought so.
How would an inspector know how much weight you have on the trailer if they’re weighing axles (and not tongue weight)?
…well, the “safe” part depends on how you drive.

/ Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity? #4  
Some trailers are rated taking tongue weight into account. But I wouldn’t worry at all about being 20 pounds overweight.

/ Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity? #5  
My camper has two 3500lb axles, and is rated for 7680 lbs - 7000 lbs on the axles and 680 lbs tongue weight. My car trailer also has two 3500 lb axles, but the tag is too old to read. Car and equipment trailers always seem to be rated at the capacity of the axles, so it's unclear if you can add the tongue weight to the total. I would like to know the answer to that myself!

/ Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity? #6  
If the weight of each axle is less then the information on the ID tag of each vehicle and the total weight is less then the Combined Gross Vehicle Weight they often do not look any further. They can look at the weight ratings on each tire and each separate axle. You are in violation if any single component is overloaded. So the placement of the load on the trailer can be very important in terms of weight dispersement.

So to answer your question, yes you could haul it. If this was to be an everyday move get a stronger trailer as the components of the trailer that close to capacity will wear out quickly.

/ Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity? #7  
Tongue weight applies to how the weight on the trailer is balanced.

Tongue weight does not effect the load capacity of the trailer.

/ Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity? #8  
Short answer is yes.

/ Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity? #9  
Yes you can safely haul your trailer with it being just 20lbs overload. Tongue weight is the weight the trailer places on the tow vehicle. Its also called or referred to as hitch weight. Tongue weight becomes part of the tow vehicle payload, which is found by law, on the sticker inside the drivers door. Likewise, your trailer has a defined payload rating from the manufacturer, based mainly on axle ratings.

You cannot add the trailer tongue weight to the trailer payload rating, to calculate a new payload rating for the trailer.

Last edited:
   / Does tongue weight increase trailer load capacity? #10  
is that the actual weight of the machine or is that the spec because they are usually quoted as dry weights. add fuel and oil in the machine and you are more than 20lbs overweight.