Does the majority concur this will work on a BX2230

/ Does the majority concur this will work on a BX2230 #1  

Lockport

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
   / Does the majority concur this will work on a BX2230 #2  
First off... even though it says 8 cu.ft. capacity, don't count on it. Maybe half that before it starts spilling out while rotating. (Don't ask me how I know...)

Secondly, standard concrete weighs about 150lbs/cu.ft. The front axle of a BX will begin to come off the ground with approximately 680lbs on the 3PH 24" past the ends of the lower links. Assuming the load isn't more than 24" out, you might only have capacity for about 3 cu.ft. And, things could get dicey when you try to tilt the drum.

Third, $900 is kinda pricey IMO. If you have the option of running an extension cord, you can get a 3.5 cu. ft. electric mixer for a LOT less money.

/ Does the majority concur this will work on a BX2230
Interesting. I see the Sweet Farm Equipment company refrenced has seen it on the Kioti LB1914 which is more CUT size than Sub-CUT but mentions power isn't a concern. However, the Kioti LB1914 weighs 2100lbs and has 1300 lbs. lift at 24" aft of the 3ph.

I don't think the weight is really an issue because, as it is mentioned in the thread you point out, it is unlikey you are going to be driving around with a load of cement. I would be more concerned about having the available space to tilt it far enough down to empty the conents, will the PTO have clearance to turn in this position and will the weight in this position become an issue:eek: causing the front wheels to pop up on the air and rest on the edge of the mixer in back. That would impress my wife!:D

I emailed a sales rep at Tram Sales in Edmontn and he says no problem, but I have emaild back asking if he has ever seen one on a BX. A chap from the SweetFarmer stated everyone he sold to with a Kubota seems to have some kind of a problem. I am waiting for clarification. Too bad somone doesn't make one a little smaller. Would be great for fence posts, decks, etc. etc.:cool: but so far it ain't really looking too good.:(

/ Does the majority concur this will work on a BX2230 #7  
Do you really have to have a 3-pt PTO concrete mixer?
Improvise!

Option 1- How about attaching a pallet fork implement, ($110)
find a free wooden pallet in good condition and strap or bolt mount a 3 cu. ft. concrete mixer with either an electric motor or gasoline engine powered mixer to it.

Option 2- It might even be possible to improvise power by using the appropriate size inverter run from the tractor battery to power the electric mixer or buy a portable gasoline generator for the job.

Note- watch the weight situation, as others have mentioned.
The above would be safer in some respects because the cement and rock aggregate are loaded while the pallet/mixer are on the ground, or it should be.
jbx

/ Does the majority concur this will work on a BX2230
JBX said:
Do you really have to have a 3-pt PTO concrete mixer?

Yes, I must have it!:D

JBX said:
Option 1- How about attaching a pallet fork implement, ($110)
find a free wooden pallet in good condition and strap or bolt mount a 3 cu. ft. concrete mixer with either an electric motor or gasoline engine powered mixer to it.

Yah, I can just see me drivin' round with that contraption strapped to the tractor!:rolleyes:

JBX said:
Option 2- It might even be possible to improvise power by using the appropriate size inverter run from the tractor battery to power the electric mixer or buy a portable gasoline generator for the job.
...and strap them both to a carryall in back with a 110v mixer in front? I'll have to be sure to chock its wheels on the pallet.;)

JBX said:
Note- watch the weight situation, as others have mentioned.
The above would be safer in some respects because the cement and rock aggregate are loaded while the pallet/mixer are on the ground, or it should be.
jbx
Loaded while it is stationary and engaged. I certainly wouldn't be traversing hilly terrain fully loaded but if one has an acreage and is, say, putting up a fence and plan to concrete your posts in the ground for example. My property is almost 1000' deep! That's a long way to push a wheelbarrow over a field.

All kidding aside, I would love to have a 3PH concrete mixer.

In reality, I fear the arms are too short and it will not go completly upright to load, and I expect a mud ramp or car ramps will be needed to allow it to completely dump. Maybe Bro-Tek could build a 5-8 cubic foot unit!:cool:

/ Does the majority concur this will work on a BX2230 #9  
OK, next idea-

1. Use trailer-
2. Attach small trailer to 3pt trailer hitch on tractor-
3. Load trailer with your mixer (either pto or electric/gas), cement bags, gravel mix, water barrel (55 gal) and mixing/finishing tools-
4. Safely traverse rough terrain without undo risk of tipping tractor over.
What do you think?

Even with a 3pt pto concrete mixer, how were you going to get your mix from where you loaded the hopper with cement, aggregate and water to the other end of your 1000' deep property?

Yah, I can see you doing a LOT of driving!

Do the math- with that much weight hanging on the 3pt, sloppin' your expensive mix out of the hopper on uneven ground, and don't forget the "pucker factor" too.

The 3pt pto mixer does not seem to be that convenient, Eh?

/ Does the majority concur this will work on a BX2230 #10  
This is what I've got done so far, which is a mix of everybody input on this tread.

The next step would be to convert it to 3PT & PTO shaft to the chain. That would be the best setup.

Richard