Comparison Does loader match

/ Does loader match #1  

4JPT

Tractor
Ford 641
Hi, I am looking at a ford 641 for sale which has attachments I would like but does not have loader. I know of a loader off of a ford 8n for sale and I am wondering if it will fit onto the ford 641. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

/ Does loader match #2  
It should be close. Cosmetics were very similar in those machines the casting is going to be the only thing that may be a big deal as far as mounting it you my have to drill a hole or 2 in the loader to make it fit

/ Does loader match
Thanks, just trying to weigh the options and learn before I buy, appreciate the info.

/ Does loader match #4  
Alternatives to a Loader:

/ Does loader match #5  
Thanks, just trying to weigh the options and learn before I buy, appreciate the info.

I'm all for putting loaders on older tractors as a way to get a usable machine. Old farm tractors - often with gasoline industrial engines - can be picked up very reasonably and are mechanic friendly. Repair parts are available. Basic metal-working skills go a long way towards making an old tractor usable. Loader mounts, fenders, some lights, a decent seat. All easy to do.

Before putting down final money, I'd look into a couple of things:
First, make sure you are choosing the right old tractor. Get one you like.
If it starts, runs, doesn't leak too much, and the electrics work then it will probably work exactly that way for years yet. Leave enough money for new tires and a battery.

There are three things it needs for a loader:

It needs to have a strong enough frame with convenient mounting points. If the tractor is one of those that uses the motor/bellhousing/transmission cast iron cases as a frame, you want to make sure that the load is spread out from front of the engine back all the way back to the rear axle housings. You do NOT want to have the whole loader weight just supported by the front axle and bell housing. That's a formula for breaking castings.
Often the loader mounts will include a subframe that bolts onto the side of the tractor. The subframe is just some pieces of steel that reinforce the castings between the motor and the transmission case to help spread out the stress of the loader. Old tractors without separate frames - like the old Fords or Masseys - often need that help.

Some of the more vintage tractor websites have long discussions about putting a loader on an old tractor. It's what everyone wants to do. I did it several times and still have one of them.

The old tractor needs to have some form of help with the steering. Power steering kits are available. The Ford 641 has optional power assist steering, but a lot of these old tractors needed an aftermarket kit. Those old farm tractors were front end heavy with narrow wheels in the first place, and putting a loader on makes steering even harder. You can still use a loader without power assist steering, but often cannot turn very well empty and not at all with a load in the bucket. Straight line work only...but that's not all bad.

The tractor needs to have enough hydraulic flow to work a loader without robbing the 3pt or the power steering too badly. It will work a lot better with an aftermarket pump or a flow divider. Expect that if it doesn't havev aux. hydraulics that loader may be slow... but all three systems need to be able to operate simultaneously even if slowly.

You can make an old tractor work. It will do a huge amount of work for you. They last forever, but need a mechanically inclined owner.
good luck,
rScotty